Transplanting spring beets

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all--I had never even heard of transplanting beets and thought the growers at a recent learning session were joking. But, it turns out some vegetable growers start their beets inside the greenhouse and transplant in spring.

My questions: Does anybody here do this? How early could I transplant--I'm assuming as soon as the soil can be worked. How early should I start them inside? How quickly can I expect a crop? I would love to have one by the first part of May (zone 4 in WI) for my early-spring CSA shares.

Thanks in advance!

me&thegals

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I will be interested in the response on this post. I have some planted in some peat pots and they are about a half inch tall. I'm in zone 7 so I'm thinking I can plant soon.

jackie

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've done it - it's also easy to separate the little seedlings, because the beet 'seed' is actually a fruit - which is why beet thinnings really happen! I love them, I put them into salads. Anyhoo, yes, you can start them indoors and plant them out as soon as you can work the soil.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ann--can you explain this further? : "because the beet 'seed' is actually a fruit - which is why beet thinnings really happen"

Also, when do you start inside, when do you transplant out (or what air/soil temp) and how long is it from transplanting to a decent-sized beetroot? Thanks!

me&thegals

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The beet seedpod is actually a dried fruit, like an apple (not the same family, though) with multiple seeds in it.

As for transplanting them outside, of course you have to harden them off, but they're quite hardy once acclimated. I wouldn't put them out if you're going to have a really hard freeze spell, here I would feel comfortable putting them out mid to late March, probably with a row cover for a couple of weeks, until they got good and established.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Plant the seeds in soil blocks then transplant the whole thing when they are ready.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

I guess my remaining question is how quickly will they mature when transplanted. Let's say I get them started this weekend, plant them outside 1 month (early April) later either under a coldframe or floating row covers. Could I expect at least ping-pong-ball sized beets by early May?