trap crops?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On another thread about seed viability:
1acrefarm said:
. . . I never toss out old veggy seeds anymore I plant them in a clearing in the woods for wildlife as a decoy garden to save mine.
So, what do others think of this? It is the idea behind "trap crops" - like growing radishes for flea beetles and cabbage moths so that those bugs leave the broccoli alone.

Does planting something for garden pests outside the garden actually work or are we just contributing to the survival of a pest that will soon invade our valued crops?

Steve, who actually considered spraying weeds with beer so that the slugs eat the weeds instead of the lettuce until he realized that buying all that beer would cost a lot of "lettuce." ;)

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know if it helps for other pests. It can slow deer down because they would rather eat in cover than out in the open. If your garden buts right up to the woods all bets are off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you slow them down enuf to get 'em in a stew pot, 1acrefarm :p??

I've always wished that I could "deter" and "repel" pests rather than spray or squish 'em. Or, shoot, shovel and shut-up as some will put it (ssshhh ;). I am, however, really, really reluctant to share especially where I see the pest as more of an invader than I am.

Honestly, since my father's family was in this country before it was a nation and they were growing crops of native plants . . . I don't seem myself as so much of an invader, anyway :cool:. But, I'd still rather live with a huge helping of harmony :) .

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only way I've found to deter deer from raiding the garden is to put a high fence around it. Unfortunately I can't fence off all my bulbs and ornamentals. The deer mow through them early in the spring, then concentrate on my unfenced fruit trees. If my veggies weren't fenced, they would be the next to go. :rolleyes: It can be frustrating....

I like the stew pot deterent idea digitS put forth. :) A crossbow might make a good pesticide.

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a crossbow but I can only eat so many deer and enough are usually given to me. I hate to say it but two less deer will bother my garden. A pregnant doe got run over today.:(

Latest posts