Traveling with plants?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :frow,

I wanted to ask everyone of their opinions with traveling with plants. I may be traveling with my family down south for Thanksgiving in a few months and I'm already thinking about ordering some new trees and plants online that you can't find in stores, to plant on the property. The problem is that every time we go on a road trip, the back trunk of the car is always packed to the brim, with stuff like clothes my family wants to bring, So that leaves me no space to bring any plants etc..
One time it took us almost half an hour to close the back trunk of the car, that's how packed it was :gig . I really don't want to have this happen again.

I just wanted your thoughts on what everyone does when they go on a road trip maybe to another property they have in a different state. How do you take the plants you want with you? And how do you make plenty of space in the car?

A pick up trunk isn't a bad idea.....:love
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thanks! :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mike, can't you have the plants you order for your other property delivered to that address? Could you request they be shipped so you would be there at the time they arrive?

Or you could tell your family that clothes are over rated and leave the trunk space available for plants.

;)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Mike, can't you have the plants you order for your other property delivered to that address? Could you request they be shipped so you would be there at the time they arrive?

Or you could tell your family that clothes are over rated and leave the trunk space available for plants.

;)
Thistlebloom,

That's not a problem to have them shipped to the other address, just to have them shipped on a certain day. I doubt they would ship the plants/trees on Thanksgiving since that is a holiday, Maybe I'll just have them shipped that Monday or Tuesday on Thanksgiving week. I'm not sure what day we will leave. If the plants get their two or three days earlier that's better than late. I just have to plan ahead that's all. Then I'll have to race to the store to buy some soil and mulch.
Oh that's not a option with telling them about their clothes, You think they would let me some space for their plants, nope! :/

Thanks for your thoughts!
I appreciate it

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you considered a roof-top carrier for the clothes (and the dog)? That way the family can be dressed and the trunk can be empty until you're done shopping.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb, can you ship them to the house where you will be having Thanksgiving? Have that person open up the packages when they arrive and put the plants/trees in water? Also, have a family member get the soil and mulch for you and then you reimburse them.

Just suggestions,

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those canvas roof top carriers are pretty affordable. I think we paid $45 for one. Then you could pack your trees carefully in a cardboard box. I'm assuming they'll be dormant that time of year, so you can go with bareroot plants and pack the root balls with damp moss, wood shavings, etc. like the catalog nurseries do and save the space that any dirt/pots would take up. Gently tie a plastic bag around it. That should get them home safely. You would probably want to keep them dormant until spring, so keep them in a cool, dark, but not freezing place, like an adjacent garage. Don't water, just keep the moss/plastic bag around it and check on them periodically, adding a few drops of water if they seem to be getting dry. Plant in spring. Most things with woody roots need soaked in a bucket of water for 24 hours prior to planting out. Hope you find some good deals!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies!,

They are very helpful!

ninnymary,

Oh yes, that's not a problem to get them shipped there, I have a cousin who lives a house across from my property. So I'll end up shipping everything to her house, I don't think she minds packages being delivered to her house. When I get their I'll take them to my property for planting.
That's what I think I'm going to do, you know how the family can get they want to pack so much stuff in the trunk. I try as much as possible to ship anything I need for the property there, its just much easier. Then I don't have to worry about it until I get there.
I must say it is nice after a long road trip ride to arrive to boxes of plants waiting to be planted, it makes me excited!!

A roof top carrier isn't a bad idea, now if you desperately need more space.

Thanks Again!! ;)
I appreciate it

Latest posts