Tray for seed mat

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought an electric seed mat and cannot find a seed tray without cells (I'd like a flat surface). Would a disposable aluminum baking tray like the ones you buy in the supermarkets be okay to place on top of the mat? The warnings on the mat say not to put anything that does not conduct heat on top of the mat or it may short out. As far as I know, aluminum is a good heat conductor. Would there be any danger in using a metal tray? Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can I tell you what I did? I couldn't find one either. I went to the bakery at walmart and bought a cookie cake for the super bowl and the lid and try were the 'perfect size'. Then I bought a sheet cake for my daughter's birthday, and I used the lid :)

For what a tray would cost, I rather get cake and the tray for the price!!! LOL

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sunnychooks said:
I bought an electric seed mat and cannot find a seed tray without cells
Really? Here you can buy them separately at a lot of stores. But if you can't find them and nobody you know has spares, aluminum pie pans should be fine, just won't make as efficient use of your space b/c of being round. You could see if anyone's getting rid of one or more used aluminum 'disposable' roasting pans, they should work too and will be more space-efficient.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the jiffy tray has cells but they are three seperate little inserts that go inside the tray you can just pull them out..

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks to all! Yummm.... Cake sounds good! Now I have a justifiable reason to buy one!

The main concern I had was if I would be causing any type of electrical hazard by using something other than a seed tray. I saw the jiffy tray inserts and was going to go with them if I didn't find something else.

I'll try either the cake lid or the aluminum baking tray. Maybe I'll get another seed mat so that I can try both! ;)

Latest posts