Tree frog in my Garden

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've noticed 100's of tree frogs and toads around our house this spring. So many that I mow the lawn very slowly so that the vibrations scare the little ones into hopping away. I stop every few feet to move them out of the way so I don't chop them up. LOL, It takes me forever to mow our small lawn because I spend so much time trying to catch the little hoppers.

I just love the "music" they make at night.

Here is a picture I took today of a tree frog on my mint plant.

6630_plants_009.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
I've noticed 100's of tree frogs and toads around our house this spring. So many that I mow the lawn very slowly so that the vibrations scare the little ones into hopping away. I stop every few feet to move them out of the way so I don't chop them up. LOL, It takes me forever to mow our small lawn because I spend so much time trying to catch the little hoppers.

I just love the "music" they make at night.

Here is a picture I took today of a tree frog on my mint plant.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6630_plants_009.jpg
We had one in Oklahoma that sounded exactly like a lost goat. The first time I heard it I searched all over looking for a goat before I figured out it was a tree frog.
The ones I got a real kick out of were the banjo frogs. Not tree frogs they lived in water and sounded just like someone twanging on a banjo string. We had the one string banjo frog that only had one note and the two string banjo frog that had two notes.
I always listened for the Spring peepers. You knew Spring was here when you heard them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a darling little frog!!! I want one! Beautiful pic, too. Enjoy your music!

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Tree frogs are oh so cute. Around here I only hear them when there's rain on the way.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Raising them can be fun. If there are no ponds nearby they will come to a shallow depresion dug in the soil and lined with plastic. Keep water in it and in no time at all you will have tadpoles to watch.

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We raised two tadpoles in a very large vase this spring for the kids to watch. We caught them in the seasonal wash at the edge of the property. I think they got a head start on the "wild" tadpoles because we gave them fish food to eat. When they started growing legs and climbing we released them.

The toads are very numerous this year with all the rain we had over the winter. I was laughing last night at the antics of 3 baby toads that hang out in front of our garage. The toads and tree frogs like to sit below the security light and catch the bugs that are attracted by the light. The cute little ones that were taking advantage of the nightly buffet chasing down the bugs.

I'm intrigued by the variation of tree frog coloring in this area. I've seen grass green, tan with green, almost gold with green. And then there are the darker mottled ones with "camouflage" patterns. No two frogs look alike.

Trisha

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
I'm intrigued by the variation of tree frog coloring in this area. I've seen grass green, tan with green, almost gold with green. And then there are the darker mottled ones with "camouflage" patterns. No two frogs look alike.

Trisha
Not sure about yours, but I think some types of frogs are chameleon-like as are some lizards; they will be close to the color of what they've recently been sitting on for a spell.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
The toads are very numerous this year with all the rain we had over the winter. I was laughing last night at the antics of 3 baby toads that hang out in front of our garage. The toads and tree frogs like to sit below the security light and catch the bugs that are attracted by the light. The cute little ones that were taking advantage of the nightly buffet chasing down the bugs.

Trisha
My parents used to have a toad that "belonged" to their dog. I wish someone had taken pictures. It was the funniest sight - Rover lying half-curled up, looking at the toad snuggled against his belly, for warmth, I suppose. It was a large toad who came back to sleep by his foster "Dad's side for at least two springs that I remember. It made the funniest looking puppy!

Latest posts