Tree watering tubes

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
3-4 years ago I bought and planted several Ash and Maple trees. I was told it would be a good idea to put a 2 foot tall 4 inch in diameter vertical pvc pipe next to the tree root bulb when planted, this would allow me put water down to the base of the bulb. The trees did fine and now I am wanting to know how long these tubes should stay or should I take them out, and is there a good time of the year to take them out? Any advice is appreciated! chris in mo.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, they are certainly established by now. I would take them out over the winter, that way in the spring they will put their roots down looking for new water when they wake up from dormancy.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am not sure I would take the tube out at all? I did a similar thing when I planted trees that have been around for about 8 years now and they are doing fine. I coiled a peice of 4 inch corrigated pipe and set the root ball right on top of it and then brought one end above ground. This gave me the chance to directly water below the roots. It have not seemed to bother the tree at all and I still give them a feeding or 2 through the year just to help them out.

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs! I think over the christmas break I'll go ahead and pull them out and fill with dirt. Again thanks a lot! chris in MO.