Tree--What Kind? *UPDATED W/PICS*

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lombardy Poplar - They grow 8'-12' per year and only live 20-25 years.

Rare Feathers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beefy said:
cottonwoods grow extremely fast and have smooth bark when young. idk where you are located but they have a pretty good distrubition as well.

http://www.museum.state.il.us/muslink/forest/htmls/trees/P-deltoides.html

yes there are different types of cottonwoods.
http://books.google.com/books?id=qO...X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA337,M1
I'm in Washington State. These were definately, purposefully planted where they are...I've not been able to find them anywhere else (online, for sale)...do they ahve another name?

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you are in Washington I'd say Black Cottonwood, Populus trichocarpa

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
just root some more. as fast as they grow they'll be big in no time. most all of the trees in the Populus genus root easily and reseed like crazy.

That was kind of throwing me off, b/c your landscape doesnt look like where you would normally find cottonwoods trees. they tend to grow where its moist, like near a creek.

as far as other names, I dont know exactly which tree that is. It may be Populus deltoides (Eastern Cottonwood) or Black Cottonwood or some other cottonwood in the Populus genus. if it was purchased it could even be a hybrid.

Rare Feathers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beefy said:
just root some more. as fast as they grow they'll be big in no time. most all of the trees in the Populus genus root easily and reseed like crazy.

That was kind of throwing me off, b/c your landscape doesnt look like where you would normally find cottonwoods trees. they tend to grow where its moist, like near a creek.

as far as other names, I dont know exactly which tree that is. It may be Populus deltoides (Eastern Cottonwood) or Black Cottonwood or some other cottonwood in the Populus genus. if it was purchased it could even be a hybrid.
I'm almost thinking it's a hybrid because they are growing like crazy...and they barely have any "cotton" compared to some of the other trees I've seen pictures of. Also, I tried to cut a limb & root it...but nothing happened...so maybe they grow from seed?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Try the seeds and take a bunch more cuttings in the spring when the trees are budding. keep them moist.

Latest posts