trees from seeds???

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Procedure??
sEm_blush7.gif

Um... I ate the apple. Then picked out the seeds. Sat them on a paper towel in the fridge while I asked if trying to sprout them was a dumb thing to do. Then, a few days after putting them in the fridge, I filled a cardboard egg carton with potting soil and stuck 1 seed in each egg hole. Then put that in a plastic cookie box and kept it damp.

Or

I carefully seperated the seeds from the seed chamber within the apple's core and prepared them for a brief stratification process by placing them on drying medium and into a low temp controle divice. After 96 hours I removed them from the low temp environment and placed each one into a low density growing medium being careful to moderate the moisture at a level that would lead to successful germination.
LOL!!!
I seriously need some coffee - cracking myself up!

sHa_hehe.gif

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Procedure??
View attachment 1825

Um... I ate the apple. Then picked out the seeds. Sat them on a paper towel in the fridge while I asked if trying to sprout them was a dumb thing to do. Then, a few days after putting them in the fridge, I filled a cardboard egg carton with potting soil and stuck 1 seed in each egg hole. Then put that in a plastic cookie box and kept it damp.

Or

I carefully seperated the seeds from the seed chamber within the apple's core and prepared them for a brief stratification process by placing them on drying medium and into a low temp controle divice. After 96 hours I removed them from the low temp environment and placed each one into a low density growing medium being careful to moderate the moisture at a level that would lead to successful germination.
LOL!!!
I seriously need some coffee - cracking myself up!

View attachment 1826
Be careful Cane, you're sounding a lot like Jackb. :D

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hard shelled seed like peach and plum seeds should be planted right out of the fruit but they can sometimes take a year or more to sprout. Remember that many of the plum type fruits are hybrids so there's no telling what type fruit the tree will bear.
The best peach seed for dependable fruit bearing is the Indian red peach if you can find any. The seed was carried across the Trail of Tears by the Cherokee and Choctaws. If you have any friends in the Oklahoma/Arkansas area they can probably get some seeds for you. It has bright red flesh and is excellent for canning.

Last edited:

Latest posts