Trellis Ideas

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I used two stakes with twine strung 6" apart for my pea trellis. It worked "okay" but I'd like to try something a little more sturdy this year. What do you all use?

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year I had 2 poles with wire strung between them. Here's how I did it this year. The peak is tied together with baling twine. I have peas planted at the base of each pole.
5880_camera_079.jpg

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use a native bamboo that grows here. I harvest the dead ones and stick them in the ground at the end of my rows then tie or use twist ties to make the horizontal part. kinda like this: |======|
I can get about 3 years out of them before they get to brittle and start to fall apart. I did make teepees out of them a few times, but had a problem with them blowing over in thunderstorms after the beans got mature... they just caught to much wind. It didn't really hurt the beans but was a pain having to pick them up and try and get the ends back in the ground.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wrapped some twine around my fence of the garden and I am just letting my peas grow up that. I figure my fence is pretty sturdy and save me having to build for those since I directly sowed those into the ground and not a raised bed.

My cukes however I did a trellis like Bid said. My neighbor got a bunch of bamboo stalks and gave me 2 we've had drying out since the fall. I'm going to attach some wire fencing to it and walla, instant trellis.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My peas are planted next to the chain link fence and ny beans will go along the front of that fence. Fences are great trellis. lol

Latest posts