Tropical plant identification?

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi I'm new! :frow I was hoping you all could help me figure out what this plant is. I got this plant from a neighbor. She says it came from Africa (I think) and that her husband brought it back with him about 30 years ago.
It has thick tuber like roots, loves the dry heat and usually blooms in late spring/summer.

Any Ideas? :)

6630_plants_001.jpg

6630_plants_002.jpg

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't think my neighbor remembered correctly where her husband got it. He traveled alot and it was so long ago. The mother plant was sitting in the same pot in her shop window for 15 years without any special treatment. She gave me a small start and in 3 years it's become a huge plant! Hardy too. It even took some freezing temps outside for short periods.

Thanks again.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome

Nice specimen! I think the flowers are cool too! Never seen that before...

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I do like this plant. It's one that can thrive on neglect :) I used to have 30+ orchids, ferns, and 80+ different roses, but I've down sized because of the time and energy it takes to raise two young childeren. I only have 2 orchids left that have survived the neglect during my two pregnancies.

This plant has survived being left outside in full sun, dense shade, with no water for weeks and rain for weeks strait. Even with temps plunging to the teens it's survived and is beautiful. I love it :D

Trish

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I do like this plant. It's one that can thrive on neglect :) I used to have 30+ orchids, ferns, and 80+ different roses, but I've down sized because of the time and energy it takes to raise two young childeren. I only have 2 orchids left that have survived the neglect during my two pregnancies.

This plant has survived being left outside in full sun, dense shade, with no water for weeks and rain for weeks strait. Even with temps plunging to the teens it's survived and is beautiful. I love it :D

Trish
...hmmm....what's it called again? Queen's tears Bromeliad? .....I think I need to get me one of those....I'm horrible with houseplants! :lol:

Latest posts