Truck load of Woodchips

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bills said:
If
Never heard of folks using Locust chips in the chicken run before? Are they safe for the birds? (I don't believe we don't have Locust trees in BC, what do they look like?)

I wish I had a free truckload, I have a ton of spots I could use them..! :)
Yup, I checked it out, apparently the only wood that is a thread to chickens is the cedar shavings inside the coop.
It causes respiratory issues but I am imagine even if this stuff wasn't great for them it wouldn't matter being that its outside the coop with all that ventilation.
Still though just to be sure I looked into it and its fine, lucky for me.
This wood is a nice golden yellow, very pretty and its listed as one of the hardest woods around so it should last a while.
I have the entire tree cut in 4 foot lengths so I can either use it for firewood or get creative and use them around the yard as well.
I just have so much of it that its kind of funny, our friend came by a couple of days ago and yelled from his truck that he had more woodchips for me, I almost fainted but he was joking.
You can't tell because its one of those big landscaping trucks thats enclosed.
You cannot even imagine the size of the pile I have out there in the yard.
I think when spring finally rolls around I will start finding even more ways to use it.
Thank you for all the tips everyone.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, I found a use for the woodchips, they play king and queen of the hill.
This is Lilly here but all of my animals are using it like this, all the goats, the sheep and the 5 dogs think its the greatest thing ever.
I have no idea what they will do without it.

kidsandgoats020.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leave it to the animals- we were all thinking of ideas- and no one said "have fun with them!" Great pic, what a cutie!

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have my garden set up with 4 ft beds and 2 ft walkways in between. I cover the walkways with wood chips. It is never muddy working in the garden, even after a rain.
If you still need to do something with them you can send them my way, I am in SW Pennsylvania :lol:

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
the only disease/insect problem I remember from arborist school is west coast's sudden oak death disease. There are probably others, but usually not a problem for healthy trees.

The bigger issue is that fresh wood chips tie up nitrogen as the fresh chips decompose. Six months stockpiling does the trick, or some extra nitrogen applied if you've just gotta put the new chips on the root zone of trees and shrubs - there's a formula somewhere for lbs/sq.ft.

But GREAT SCORE! yay! I'm experimenting with a thick layer of grass clippings topped with wood chips to kill off grass for new beds in the race to remove the lawn.

PS - don't EVER use pecan shells from a pecan shelling operation! UGH, what a mess. Stains. Mold and bugs from rotting pecan bits left in the ground shells. Never breaks down, just forms an inpenatrable mass. Alleopathic - releases toxins to kill competing plants, just like black walnut does. That bed has still not recovered 10 years later.

Latest posts