Trumpet Vines

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay so....a friend of mine has a rather large Trumpet and, (I know, I know....you all are running the theme song from Psycho in your heads going "Don't do it!!") But, what can I say, I have always admired it. Now I knooow Trumpets are terribly invasive....I saw how the runners came up in the sidewalk cracks, under the siding, through the doorway cracks, into the other flower beds and lawn...etc....BUT, she recently gifted me a nice start and I have planted it in a 5 gal. pot. I will probably sink the pot in the ground with the edge showing to control the runners. I also inherited some nice trellis fencing type stuff from my aunt so I have the vine against that right now, but it's only about a foot and a half tall right now, and it was stressed from needing to be transplanted so it dropped quite a few leaves, but as I have heard from many people it's pretty much impossible to kill off Trumpet once it's decided to live...do you guys think the pot idea will work to contain it? I will keep it pruned away from the house...does it re-seed easily? Advice appreciated....thanks!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a thread on this vine in spring. People had mix feeling, the best was when surrounded by grass where the runners could be mowed to keep in check.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really can't imagine it being invasive in zone 5. I am in zone 4, and yes the vine grows here- but it is not aiming to take over the world...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planting in a pot in the ground should help, but you might still have to be vigilant. The only drawback to the pot-in-ground plantings is eventually it will get rootbound. But after 4 years or so you could cut the vine way back, lift the pot and do some root pruning, then replant it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
I did a thread on this vine in spring. People had mix feeling, the best was when surrounded by grass where the runners could be mowed to keep in check.
Agree zone 5. Can b evasive and down right rude

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt it will do well in a pot for long. There is no way to control it. I love mine that has turned into a tree but the seedlings are a major problem. You forgot to mention how it grows in cellars with no water or light.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
today I learned that trumpet vine will never again be invasive in my woods. my new goats have declared trumpet vine their number one favorite food group. I kinda feel bad about that, but goats will eat what goats will eat.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had it in my back yard in California and even though a couple vines came up on their own, they happened to come up right where I wanted them! In 15 years I never had a problem with it being invasive. Here, I can't even get my Madam Galens to take off, and its my favorite. :/

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not have a problem with mine for the first 20 years. Then......
peteyfoozer said:
I had it in my back yard in California and even though a couple vines came up on their own, they happened to come up right where I wanted them! In 15 years I never had a problem with it being invasive. Here, I can't even get my Madam Galens to take off, and its my favorite. :/

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I doubt it will do well in a pot for long. There is no way to control it. I love mine that has turned into a tree but the seedlings are a major problem. You forgot to mention how it grows in cellars with no water or light.
LOL.:lol:

Latest posts