Truth Hurts

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a amazing pair of handmade wrought iron gates on craigs list. The lady said they came from a old brownstone in NYC and where only $75 for the pair. I took them to a wielder to have hinges put on them. I said I would love to leave them rusty rather then paint, but didn't want to take chance of them rusting apart. He looked at gates then looked at me and said " you will be dead, buried and decomposed yourself before these rust apart!! That hurt!!! love my new rusty gates.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:lol: Sorry! That is my sense of humor too! I'm sure he didn't mean anything other than the fact that you purchased a gate made out of good quality metal that will last and last.

Yes on the pictures please!! :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sort of my sense of humor too. Im getting older. My parents, grandparents and various older family members tend to last a long time and are generally in pretty good health until close to the end. I have a pretty good idea when my time will come.

When certain people ask if anything is wrong, my standard response is that its nothing another 30 years wont cure. Im not far away from changing that to 20 years.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Nyboy!

I was just doing a little reading about basalt. Around here, basalt is the bedrock and the rock outcroppings and cliffs - that sort of thing.

There is so much iron in some of the basalt that it rusts. It was laid down by volcanoes as long as 17 million years ago! Even the newest basalt is over 6 million years old. Doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon ;).

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, do you have a cable that connects your camera to the computer? There are a lot of people (practically any of them) on here that are more computer literate than I am, but Ill try.

If you can connect the camera to the computer with a cable, do so then turn the camera on. An icon might pop up on your desktop screen. If it does, click on it and play with it. Hopefully you can figure out how to open it and see the photos or at least the file name of the photos.

In the meantime create a file somewhere you can find it and give it an imaginative name, something like photos. Usually you can select the photos or file names of the photos on the camera and copy or move them to that imaginative-named file on your computer you just created. Just play with it. You wont hurt anything the delete button wont cure.

If that doesnt work, what you can do depends some on your operating system and all that. Im on Windows 7. I can imagine the people cringing about that old dinosaur. On my desktop Ive got an icon that says computer. I click on that and a few possible folders or whatever they are called show up. One of them is called camera or something like that if it is connected and turned on. I just start double clicking on that until I get to the photos and them do a copy or move to that imaginatively named file I previously set up.

I get frustrated with this stuff a lot. I liked my old washing machine better. Not the newer one but the older model. All I had to do was set some buttons and dials where I wanted them and turn the knob to start. It did what it was told. It didnt try to outthink me and didnt get confused. And it did not come back with the dreaded question, Are you SURE you want to do that? It just did it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love rusty old gates!! Try to post a pic... There is a pair of them for sale that I keep passing by. They don't have a price listed. I keep wondering if I could fit them into my car.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
how exciting! new old gates. sure hope you get the picture thing figured out. would love to see them. what is their new role in life to be?

Latest posts