trying artichoke..

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In my reading I've seen "Green Globe" recommended highly. It will be my first time growing any at all. Am I too late to plant seeds this year and produce anything? I've seen mixed opinions of the plants overwintering in zone 7b.

Any specific advice? I'd like to install an attractive permanent raised area to keep them year after year.

Thanks in advance!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Artichokes are a perennial 'bush'. So starting from seed you'll have a few seasons until the produce anything for you. Take stock in patience with perennial veggies! :p

Or fruits for that matter... I'm 3-4 years in with my fruit trees and only have a few fruits again this year. It will probably be another 2-3 years before we get them heavy with fruit.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NO way! We are seeding ours today! It would be nice to be further along, but not necessary. You are going to love them!

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've currently got one plant that we've had for close to a year and now that it's in a better sized pot it's got ONE lone artichoke starting to form -- currently about the size of a small-ish tennis ball.. I'll be watering it from now on with only hydroponic water to ensure it's well fed. We are planning on planting another dozen or so within the next month. We love artichokes but are not growing them for that purpose.. The new ones will be in-place to keep our pesky neighbors from hopping over our fence on a regular basis at night.. A full-sized artichoke plant ought to be a nice deterrent once full-sized at >3' across. However, we'll have to keep the chickens from wanting to eat them!

P.S. If there's a better cultivar other than green-globe, let me know as that's pretty much all that is available around here -- or 'improved' green globe.. ;)

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think they are a beautiful plant, so I won't be heartbroken if they don't produce right away! I think I'm going to get them in this weekend, then!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Artichokes are a perennial 'bush'. So starting from seed you'll have a few seasons until the produce anything for you. Take stock in patience with perennial veggies! :p

Or fruits for that matter... I'm 3-4 years in with my fruit trees and only have a few fruits again this year. It will probably be another 2-3 years before we get them heavy with fruit.
they are only perennial to zone 7 the rest of us have to reseed every year... I think I may try them this year

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
vfem said:

they are only perennial to zone 7 the rest of us have to reseed every year... I think I may try them this year
You would think that if you do it in a pot you could bring it in and out?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Green globe are specifically grown because they DO produce the first year (according to the seed packet.) I'm here in 8a and I started mine in February, so I should have flower buds towards the end of summer, if you start this late you may not get anything this year.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We just bought 8 more artichokes this past weekend in 4" pots at the local Armstrong garden center.. They're all pretty decent looking but they dry out REALLY quickly.. I've got them all sitting in an upside down garbage can lid (flat type) with about 1/2" deep of water which I figure will last a day or two tops. At least they'll be nice-n-wet instead of drooping once they dry out..

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in zone 6 /I grow them as an annual and I get a few small fruit for every plant. I had one winter over one time. If they are hardy in your zone I would give it a try. Seed is cheap and worth it if you get an extra years growth.
AllyRodrigues said:
In my reading I've seen "Green Globe" recommended highly. It will be my first time growing any at all. Am I too late to plant seeds this year and produce anything? I've seen mixed opinions of the plants overwintering in zone 7b.

Any specific advice? I'd like to install an attractive permanent raised area to keep them year after year.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts