Trying Not to Get Nervous But.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fort Wayne voted on a city ordinance to allow up to 5 hens, no roosters. Didn't pass... morons said some would make it look like hillbilly lived there and would be health issues. Mean while county is doing there best to outlaw all animals except for 4H..... can have 20 dogs, 20 birds but NO chickens.

Agree, wish more yards like yours (real life) would be show cased.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fort Wayne voted on a city ordinance to allow up to 5 hens, no roosters. Didn't pass... morons said some would make it look like hillbilly lived there and would be health issues. Mean while county is doing there best to outlaw all animals except for 4H..... can have 20 dogs, 20 birds but NO chickens.

That's a shame. We can have 6 in Alameda and I think San Francisco also.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Seed, how does Fort Wayne feel about a vegetable garden that you can see from the street? Are those outlawed too? Some places they are. What does the county propose happens to those 4-H animals after they are shown at the fair? Do they immediately have to be butchered (if that is allowed) or disposed of out of the county? I don't expect answers from you, I'm just frustrated.

I think the less people know about something the easier it is to believe rumors and to fear. Chickens can be a problem in suburbia, (noise, small, attract vermin) if the are not managed properly, but so can dogs, cats, and other pets. So put realistic limits on them like they usually do other pets. Limit the numbers, no roosters, must be confined, food in rodent proof containers, things like that.

I'm glad I live in the county, not inside city limits.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardens are the "in" thing, so they are good-except for certain subdivisions that everything has to be approved from color of house to if you are allowed to cut wind....

4H animals are sold and butchered-except for winners that go to state.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, like the female side of humanity doesn't..... I know better... I'm married with children....

Latest posts