Trying to figure out water req for tomatoes.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Trying to set up a drip system for tomatoes this summer. Does anyone have a guesstimate on gallons per day for tomatoes. Avg temp is about 82 and humidity avg is about 20-30%. Will have about 6" of straw mulch. Will probably set the system to water 2x a day. I know there are a lot of variables. Just looking for a guesstimate to start with.

Thanks

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help. I have a large veggie garden and use 4" pipe and overhead sprinklers (also a good supply of water). I guess you would need to think about root area or if you have information on any of these other high water use plants.

This is from Texas A and M :

Table IV-1. Relative Vegetable Water Needs - Seasonal water demand in inches

High

Broccoli 20 - 25
Cabbage 20 - 25
Cauliflower 20 - 25
Slicer Cucumber 20-25
Eggplant 20 - 35
Onion 25 - 30
Pepper 25 - 35
Potato 20 - 40
Pumpkin 25 - 30
Sweet corn 20 - 35
Tomato 20 - 25

Moderate

Asparagus 10-18
Pinto Bean 15 - 20
Cantaloupe 15 - 20
Cowpea 10 - 20
Pickling cucumber 15 - 20

Low

Lettuce 8 - 12
Mustard greens 10 - 15
Radish 5 - 6
Spinach 10 - 15
Turnip 10 - 15
Watermelon 10 15

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The amount that I have seen most is about an inch per week, exactly how to figure that with each system should'nt be too hard. Figure your area that needs to be watered and how much volume your system can supply in what ever period of time.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a week, 1 inch of water on a square yard (9 sq ft :hu) is 1296 cubic inches, or 5.6 gallons. 5.6 / 7 days = .8 gallon/day

A square yard is 0.000206612 of an acre. At 700,000 gallons of water per acre of tomatoes (oh yeah!!) over the growing season, thats 140 gallons per square yard. For a 140 day growing season, thats 1 gallon per day.

;) Steve

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you much. That is very helpful. Thanks for the table. Our extension doesn't have any of that.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting. 1 gallon a day sounds about right to me after years of watering potted tomatoes with a watering can.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are applying the 6" of straw mulch are you sure you need that much water?

DrakeMaiden wrote:
Interesting. 1 gallon a day sounds about right to me after years of watering potted tomatoes with a watering can.
Last summer I mulched my tomatoes with newspaper and thick straw. I only watered once a week unless we had a major heat wave. And then I based it by putting my finger in the soil to check moisture first.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
GardeNerd said:
If you are applying the 6" of straw mulch are you sure you need that much water?

DrakeMaiden wrote:
Last summer I mulched my tomatoes with newspaper and thick straw. I only watered once a week unless we had a major heat wave. And then I based it by putting my finger in the soil to check moisture first.
Last year we used a hose to water every day and the tomatoes still had cracks. We had mulch at that time too. I took a couple tomatoes to the local nursery and they said need calcium and more consistent watering. I don't know where you live at but we're at 6400 ft and it is bone dry here. It's good for the chickens. Don't have to change bedding as much and never had a sick chicken, but it's hard on veggies.