Tumblr Rambling

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not coming back to discuss difficulties in speaking because of difficulties in hearing.

Social networking ;). Yeah, I was briefly watching some kind of crime thriller, I think it was, and they were trying to "profile" a criminal. Said something about using Facebook "or Enoch."

Enoch? At least, I think that is what it was -- captioning is the messiest d**n thing and interferes almost as much as it helps.

(Let me give an example: There was this cool show on PBS this morning about rescuing refugees out of Denmark during WW2. Then it said something about "dishes differences movement." . . . . What? By gosh there are a lot of PBS cooking shows but I thought I was watching something on history of the war in Europe!

Well, I figured it out but it set me back a bit - I may have missed the next few mangled sentences. "Danish Resistance Movement." Often words are dropped, I can see the lips moving but the captioning stops and usually it is the most terrible spelling in the world.)

That may have been the problem with "Enoch." There's the biblical Enoch but nothing in Wikipedia about it under "Social Networking."

I'd really like an alternative to Facebook. Perhaps mostly because they offended me by making changes several years ago that messed up my "wall." After I'd told folks I wouldn't use it anymore, everything was straightened out again :rolleyes:. Embarrassed, I haven't used it since.

I like the looks of Tumblr but have never opened an account. It is rather completely different and what I like about it is looking at others timelines and the pictures they put on it. It doesn't seem to be a social networking service to me, tho'. Do you use Tumblr and what uses have you found for it? Does it connect you with others and how would it do that?

Steve
social networking in Wikipedia lists: Facebook, Google+, Tumblr and Twitter; Nexopia; Badoo, Bebo, VKontakte, Delphi, Draugiem.lv, Hi5, Hyves, iWiW, Nasza-Klasa, Soup, Glocals, Skyrock, The Sphere, StudiVZ, Tagged, Tuenti, and XING; Hi5 and Orkut; Mxit in Africa; and Cyworld, Mixi, Orkut, renren, weibo and Wretch . . ! Most of them are popular somewhere outside of the US.

edited: back to correct my italics!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I have managed to avoid signing up to any social networking websites so far. I sometimes think I am missing out on something by not being on facebook, like when I am the only person in my old high school class that doesn't know something important about another classmate. (Reunion shock) But most of the time I am happily ignorant of what the latest craze is, or the hottest new video.
I can kind of see how closed captioning would drive you nuts. I can either watch the action or read the words. My eyes don't work independently.:/ and then when they pull the "misunderstood lyrics" stuff on you, you may as well turn it off and read a book.

And, hey, any time you want to discuss hearing difficulties on here, you have friends to cheerfully "hear" you out. So complain away! No problem! :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cant help you either Steve. I dont do electronic social networking other than e-mail, and do you know how many people dont even check their e-mail anymore? One of the kids doesnt even check his mailbox very often. I dont mail him anything without leaving a voicemail on his cell phone to tell him it is coming. Even then, hed prefer a text message but I will maintain my minimum standards.

I also can appreciate a hearing loss issue, more in the left ear than the right but bad enough in both. Go ahead and complain all you want. Well "listen".

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What you've got on Tumblr is some really dandy graphics, So Lucky! They even have HD altho' I don't quite know what that means other than super clarity :cool:.

It is one photograph at a time and I notice the best are shared widely so it may take a real professional camera. DW has a better camera than I do but I don't use it much.

Facebook has pictures but they don't look special to me. What Tumblr is doing is making it possible for people to create their own coffee table book - it kind of seems to me. Now, we only look at those books when the hosts get up and leave us in the living room while they stir something up in the kitchen ;). So. I'm not sure how that amounts to much sharing other than - "you like pictures of lakes, I like pictures of lakes, so I'm borrowing some from you," sort of thing. That's like Pinterest, except there can be more captioning.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I signed up in FaceBook only to keep up on what my grandchildren ( 50 miles away ) are doing. Ended up getting junk from other relatives and two garden groups that have gone to FaceBook message boards. Most of what is sent to me is a waste of E-air space and I just skip over it. I seldom put anything of mine on FaceBook and digit'S, believe me, you aren't missing a thing.

I have no idea and no desire to try another social network. Guess I'm just not a social butterfly (or wasp).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I can post tumblr pictures on TEG, they might not "travel" well, tho'. That temptation for the images continues to draw me :p.

You may know that Twitter just went public. Yeah, the lucky few bought shares for $17. After ordinary folks could make a purchase - last I saw, it was trading for $47! As always, the speculators are doing this. I just don't see how Twitter can actually make much $. Worthwhile service for some of us but . . . .

Here is something I came across this morning. The social networking sites over the last few years in terms of users: (link) Some of these definitely would fit my lifestyle ;).

Steve

Latest posts