Turmeric shoots - FINALLY

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My turmeric is showing its' first shoots of the year. It sure is a slow starter every year. It needs at least a month of very warm ground before it wakes up. Hopefully I'll have some more of those pretty blossoms. It's a shame it never makes seed.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The turmeric powder you buy in the stores is made by boiling the turmeric root, drying it an oven and then grinding it. Turmeric under cultivation had been domesticated so long (thousands of years) that somewhere along the line it lost its' ability to make seed. Only black turmeric (used medicinally, not for cooking) and wild turmeric make seeds.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks to you Hoody, I did some reading on turmeric and learned about all it's wonderful properties. I started taking it for my joints and I believe it has really begun to help. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, check to see if the turmeric decreases hair fallout. You know how much you lose when you shower/wash your hair. Mine used to fall out big time, but it has really decreased. I saw an ad in a glossy magazine abut a new hair "tonic" and one of the ingredients was turmeric. It is supposed to decrease fallout by 30% I don't know if it would work for baldness, guys. :idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be a nice side benefit So Lucky. My hair has always been fine and thinish, and it seems to fall out most in the fall (ha!).
I will definitely pay attention to that aspect of taking it. :)

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you think it would grow from root pieces?

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hoodat, do you grow tumeric as an ornamental or for your consumption? Seems a ton of trouble to boil, dry and grind it, so I'm curious (and prepared to be impressed if you do that).

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MeggsyGardenGirl said:
Hoodat, do you grow tumeric as an ornamental or for your consumption? Seems a ton of trouble to boil, dry and grind it, so I'm curious (and prepared to be impressed if you do that).
Since I have it growing in my garden I usualy dig down at the edge of the clump and break off a piece of the rhizome. I can't help thinking it would benefit you more fresh than dried.
In answr to Naughty, yes. Pieces of root are how it is started but be sure the piece you use has some eyes on it for the shoots to grow from.

Latest posts