Turning pumpkins....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you folks turn pumpkins for getting color all over, without breaking the stems. Seems sometimes I can, and sometimes I break them! Anyone have a fail proof way of insuring even coloring all over the pumpkin without premature separation of the stems?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
really i think they will color on their own but I have turned some. just be gentle and judge how far they will turn, ive already placed foam under them if there is a large rock or something that will misshape them. after the vines begin to die off its best to let them sit till they are done.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was checking the undersides of some of mine and found some blanching. They have hay mulch under them and it isn't damp, so I was afraid they won't turn unless I reposition them . I want to sell these pumpkins, so I want the color to be uniform and their shape also.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Easiest way for me to get a round orange pumpkin is to position it bottom down when it's about the size of a tennis ball. To make them orange, lop them off and set them on the back porch. In a few weeks they end up orange all around. It does get cool quick here though so that may be helping the color change.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
silkichicken recommends what I usually do. When the fruits are small then you should turn them before the get larger.

Or, you might be able to move the fruit and the whole vine. Just pick up the vine as you move the fruit so that it's higher than the fruit and rotate the pumpkin carefully.

I've usually haven't had too much issue with them not turning but when the don't turn evenly and they're kind of yellow then just don't carve that side :p

Seahound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my first time growing pumpkins. Sio I have everything to learn. I have one pumpkin now havent found any others yet.

Thanks

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I read from the Farmer's Alamac that putting a thin cardboard under the pumpkin to keep them seperated from the ground. Now if this helps for even color I don't know but it helps keeping the worm from boring into the pumpkin.