two of my chickens have died :(

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thank you so much and looking at the poppies and that very pretty dahlia totally cheer me up :) I feel like I got some real flowers!!! how wonderful of you!

sigh I know I am just bummed now you are right I just let them out and they bring so much joy to see them just running out of the gate

It is finally my day off this week we have been swamped and they have been long days so I think this may have hit me harder than usual ..fatigue does not help people see rationally that is for sure!

so I am going to go outside after one more cup of coffee and get really really dirty ..then take my dogs and go to the river for a very chilly swim!

and I am sure it will make me feel 1453737% better

you guys are just awesome with your words

and by the way those words ..well they work :)

thank you so much for them

hugs to all of you

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss, HiDelight. :hit

What is really sad is that these silly birds hide their symptoms from us . . . it is just their nature. Unfortunately we usually do not know they are ill until it is too late.

I am sorry that you had to speed her departure from your garden, but you surely did the right thing. We cannot spare them from all suffering, but we can do the best we can for them, which is soooo much better than the treatment that most chickens get. You did your best for her.

:hugs

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

So sorry to hear about your loss. :hugs Yep, those girls are stoic birds aren't they? It is hard to know when they are sickly sometimes. :hugs

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:hugs I'm so sorry :hugs

I lost one of my hens last Sat. She had a seizure and died in my arms.

I know what you mean about not wanting to have chickens anymore. It's very traumatic to lose one.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks again you guys are wonderful

Catalina I am so sorry omg that is awful ....

ok now I have had two hens broody for three days they are skinny their combs shrunk up and they look like crap and are all pissed off

argh this is not fun both of them are chasing everyone out of the nest boxes and sitting on the eggs

I told my husband we have to take them out of the yard first thing in the morning and distract them until the spell breaks ..also they need more food and water

omg

and no I am not going to the BYC board with this that place just overwhelms me it is HUGE!!! I can not find anything it moves so fast.. and everything I want to ask people have answered and they seem to get annoyed if you ask again ..and I could not find answers in the search ...so I am going to sit here and sulk if you do not mind ..the swim helped and I will be better tomorrow I promise

please feel free to share your chicken miseries in my thread if you need to and we can have a little support group right here ok?

OOOOXXXX I am so sorry to anyone who has lost chickens they are so joyful to be around!

and when they go there is a little mourning session with the rest of the flock isnt there? they were all in a funk today kind of like "where do we go"

then I gave them string cheese and they felt better :)

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
and when they go there is a little mourning session with the rest of the flock isnt there? they were all in a funk today kind of like "where do we go"
Yeah, I agree with that. My 3 big girls were inseparable from the day they hatched. Now their little group's dynamic is off. They look so lonely now at night when they roost.

I also agree with you about BYC. I joined in 2007 and it was way smaller and nicer - like TEG is right now. You could get to know people and follow their stories.

I've joined a few swaps (and hosting a mascot) just to try and figure out who all the new people are!

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your girls :hugs

I am new to the chicken thing and have been lucky enough to not lose any of my flock (yet, they're only 4mos).

Heirloomer

Sprout
Reaction score
I've had a number of heart wrenching loses this year. First a baby goat died at a day old. I lost one chicken as it was about to commence laying, reasons still unknown, and had another one pecked to death a the feeder. There was also one chick that arrived with splayed legs and didn't make it. I now have one with an injured leg that is getting worse even though it is in isolation, and a rabbit died that someone had given to me who couldn't take care if it and when I called to tell her she went ballistic on me and blamed me for it.

When you have these types of animals, you just have to expect loses and keep going. The tricky thing is figuring out if the loss is due to an infectious disease or something else, like an injury or internal problem. I isolate any sick animal right away and watch the others carefully. Even if you nurse the sick one back to health, it may now get killed by the others or may be a carrier if there was a disease process.

I would also recommend that you don't take in any strays adoptions or animals rescued from the wild. They can bring in diseases that may not be apparent even if you isolate them first. If the animal was given to you by someone who had it as a pet, they will blame you for anything bad that happens to it to releive their own guilt. It's not worth it.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thank you again for your empathy and I appreciate it so much ..today is better for sure I feel ok and understand things

so do the chickens I think but they are not real happy with this thunder and lightening we are having today! boy oh boy ..my dogs are confused as well ..not freaking out but very clingy!

I love thunder and lightening when we lived in the southwest we had so many but here it is a very rare thing to see and this one is houseshakingly good!

I adopt rescued dogs only other than that I do not take in strays...ok I have taken in a lot of stray kids! but animals not really ..our yard is open to wildlife visitors but not to adoption of animals

Catalina I hope this board stays with in reason I could not even keep up with posts on the other board if I looked away for a moment I lost what i was reading!!!! it is just too much to have in one place ...this is a nice board and hopefully it will stay a reasonable size if not I will go back to reading books :)

I am too old to try to keep up with more than turning pages :)

Latest posts