Ugh, please tell me I can fix this! (Update p.2)

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I need everyones' help again. I am hoping someone here can tell me what this is as I have not had luck with books and the internet.

The first two pictures are of one of my cucumber leaves. I noticed this morning that many of them are starting to look like this. At first I thought "eek, mosaic virus!!!" but it doesn't look like the pics I've seen.

DSC03461.jpg

DSC03462.jpg

The next three pictures are of my green bean leaves. At first I thought it was halo blight, but again, doesn't really look like the photos. Then I thought maybe rust, but no residue comes off on my hands. Any ideas?

DSC03463.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

The conditions have been rainy, very windy, and cooler than normal for the past week. Could my poor plants just be stressed? I sure hope so. I will cry if I have to rip anything out, I've worked so hard. :hit Oh, before I forget - these plants are growing right next to each other.

I can include pictures of the entire plants if that helps.
Thanks!!!:/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They look pest ridden! ARGH! I would guess a japanese bettle from the way the bug avoided the veins no matter how small.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I think you have some sort of bug chewing on them.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, really? :hu I wouldn't have guessed that. I haven't seen anything on them! What now? I was so lucky last year, I didn't have any pests until the very end of the season, and by that time, I just kind of gave up.
I'm ready to fight. :somad What can I do organically?
I'll look it up, too, and see what I find.
THANKS!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
diffinately some bug... I have a very tiny worm/catapiller munching my viburnim and the leaves look like that...

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Could it be angular leaf spot?

Angular Leaf Spot
Angular leaf spot also is caused by a bacterium, Pseudomonas lachrymans. The pathogen attacks honeydew melons, cucumbers, and squash. The bacteria can cause severe losses in quantity and quality, especially in cucumber production.

Symptoms

Figure 2. Characteristics symptoms of angular leaf spot are irregular, angular holes in the leaves as shown on this cucumber.
The disease appears on the leaves, stem, and fruit. The infected foliage appears water-soaked, irregularly shaped, and angular. It then turns a tan color and dies. Dead tissue may tear away from the healthy tissue leaving holes in infected leaves (figure 2). Fruit infected with the bacteria become water-soaked, develop circular spots, and exude a white crusty bacterial substance. Bacterial soft rot usually follows, which can cause decay of the entire fruit.

Disease Cycle
The pathogen is carried on and in diseased plant refuse and on the seed. The pathogen is disseminated by splashing rains which carry the bacterium to new plants and to other parts of infected plants. The organism also can be transferred by workers picking cucumbers. The bacteria enters through the stomata (natural openings on surface of leaves or stems) or through wounds. It does not enter the vascular tissue as in wilt, but rather, remains in the foliage causing a leaf spot. Warm, moist weather conditions favor disease development.

Control
Since the bacterium is carried on the seed, it is important to purchase disease-free seed. Equally important is the practice of crop rotation, with unrelated crops. Fungicide application on cucumbers should begin at the first sign of disease. Melons should be sprayed when runners start.
Or maybe anthracnose?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1172.html

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
Could it be angular leaf spot?

Angular Leaf Spot
Angular leaf spot also is caused by a bacterium, Pseudomonas lachrymans. The pathogen attacks honeydew melons, cucumbers, and squash. The bacteria can cause severe losses in quantity and quality, especially in cucumber production.

Symptoms

Figure 2. Characteristics symptoms of angular leaf spot are irregular, angular holes in the leaves as shown on this cucumber.
The disease appears on the leaves, stem, and fruit. The infected foliage appears water-soaked, irregularly shaped, and angular. It then turns a tan color and dies. Dead tissue may tear away from the healthy tissue leaving holes in infected leaves (figure 2). Fruit infected with the bacteria become water-soaked, develop circular spots, and exude a white crusty bacterial substance. Bacterial soft rot usually follows, which can cause decay of the entire fruit.

Disease Cycle
The pathogen is carried on and in diseased plant refuse and on the seed. The pathogen is disseminated by splashing rains which carry the bacterium to new plants and to other parts of infected plants. The organism also can be transferred by workers picking cucumbers. The bacteria enters through the stomata (natural openings on surface of leaves or stems) or through wounds. It does not enter the vascular tissue as in wilt, but rather, remains in the foliage causing a leaf spot. Warm, moist weather conditions favor disease development.

Control
Since the bacterium is carried on the seed, it is important to purchase disease-free seed. Equally important is the practice of crop rotation, with unrelated crops. Fungicide application on cucumbers should begin at the first sign of disease. Melons should be sprayed when runners start.
Or maybe anthracnose?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1172.html
I looked up photos of both of those and (luckily) it doesn't really look like either of them. I would hate to have either of those! I'd much rather have bugs, I feel like I can fight back! :rolleyes:

I also looked up spotted cucumber beetles and japanese beetles, and sofar it looks most like the damage those guys do. So I may have found my culprit.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
check for aphids or more than likely sand fleas........sand fleas eat the top layer off of leaves. SAnd fleas will inflict the plant w/Stewarts wilt as well.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This sounds crazy, but Larkspur attracts japanese beetles... but its so posionious it kills them right away too! You may want to add some to the garden to attract them AWAY from what you don't want them eating?! I've been suggested to plant larkspur around roses to help keep their foliage intact. ;)