uh oh, i'm gonna be in trouble!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
went out about an hour ago to check my chickens and look in on one of my momma hens that i gave eggs to so she could escape the roos that overly love her. she started with 13 eggs but the bumbling LF hens tend to try and get into the bantam box and crush an egg while they lay their eggs in the box. so during this past week i moved the momma out and into her own crate with the 5 remaining eggs and a few fresh ones. i guess i should mark on a calendar when i give eggs to a hen because i didn't realize it has been 3 full weeks since i gave her those eggs. i wasn't expecting those 5 eggs to start hatching since some were covered with egg goo from the broken ones. i never bothered to candle them either.

well, i went out and checked on momma and i heard the distinct PEEP of a chick! :ep but i'm going :ya at the same time! the chick is still trying to get out of the shell so i left it under momma to finish so i can check it for color and number of toes. here's hoping it is another faverolles and a pullet to boot! i also have bantam cochins (momma is one of the few cochins i have) so it could be one of them or a cross with my favs.

oh yeah, the reason i'm going to be in trouble....dh told me to hold back on hatching or bringing in new birds till we moved! :he

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
yay! :weee I went through the very same thing ! I prayed everyday that they will not break another egg... :bow One of my hen is about to hatch anytime, tick tock tick tock !!! :hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may want to give Mother Nature .

. . and the chick .

a helping hand out of that shell, Chickie'sMoma.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
at the time the chick was already zipped when i felt under the hen so i didn't want to cause it harm and left momma alone to do her business. it is now out and it will be a black mix of cochin and faverolles. it has one foot with 5 toes and the other with 4! looks like it might have a small beard but it might take a few more days to be sure.

this hen is very dutiful and will stick with her chicks for a very long time till she feels they are all right on their own! she went broody for me very early last spring and tried hatching 5 times. the 5th being the successful time!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I had one chickie hatch this morning, but the other hens killed it ! waaaaa!! :hit I blocked them off and hope the others will hatch...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are often inclined to give chickens too much credit for maternal instincts and such . . .

It is obvious that they are hormonal-driven in their behavior - almost said "crazed" behavior. And yes, sometimes it is a bit crazed :rolleyes:.

Just pick the growling, clucking broody up and move her to one side. What's she got under there? Sometimes, just settin' there on them isn't doing the job.

Of course, settin' on them is often a good idea. You take pigeons . . . once the babies are outta the shell, they are just to be admired . . . from a distance. Oh the loving gazes . . . meanwhile, the hatchlings are down there freezing to death! Because, the idiot birds have laid and set during October!

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had that happen once when i moved a hen i though was broody in with one that already was and was ready to have her eggs hatch. the momma was successful with her first chick but the second chick to try and hatch got dragged out of the shell and thrashed by the other hen. so i quickly took the other hen out and put her in her own area. the momma was successful with 4 more chicks after that.

i've learned to move the broody box during the last week as a precaution against 'thieves' in the hen house. i have a double decker broody/breeding pen set up for just the occasion of separating out a hen with eggs and any chicks while still keeping them in the coop with the other hens. there is plenty of room for her to get out of the box and move about with a small group of chicks for the first 2 weeks without other birds trying to kill the babies till they are old enough to run for mom quickly if there is trouble.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have tried so hard to seperate her, but she keeps knocking fence over and wanting to get out. I guess she doesnt like to be locked up ! I will have to find a better way to seperate her next time if shes broody again ! right now she still sitting on 3 eggs, but I dont think they will not hatch. (maybe not fertilized)

Latest posts