Ummm....strawberries?

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in Wisconsin and have a large patch of June bearing strawberries. They're all the same variety, bought and planted at the same time. They go nuts in June and then just are pretty plants until fall. A week or so ago I saw flowers on some of them, and yesterday I picked a strawberry....it's September, but nobody told them, apparently. Is there any explanation for this?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I wish I knew...I have everbearing though...

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is the wonderful thing about genetics, there will always be what is called a "sport". This is when a part of the plant behaves differently or looks differently. These are the clues that Mother Nature is stretching herself and testing the need for filling a niche.

I would mark these and move them to a separate bed. You may be onto a new variety, or just the traits of one of the parents somewhere back in time.

I think a big strawberry bed is hardly done until the Fall colors begin. I love how the mounds turn to such scarlet and crimson splashed with orange and yellows and then browns. It is magic. Please take a picture for us less fortunate souls. :love

Ron

Latest posts