Underground Green Houses

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone have experience w/ underground, wallipini, or pit type green houses????

I am thinking about working on one, have been doing a lot of research and am wondering for the walls for retaining and guarding against collapse they are graded out at an angle of 6 inches to a foot them ram earthed blocked or using other wood / metal / cement options to form "retaining" type structures.

My question (for now anyway) is if it would work to plant the walls in a grass / forage / ground cover something so that the root mass would form a natural retaining wall erosion control measure????

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Do you build the walls up with cinder blocks or other permanent construction?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The more "native" ones build the reinforcing walls w/ rammed earth "blocks" they form out of the dirt that is dug out. Others make them w/ lumber or cinder blocks. I am in the researching phase, but have an idea to combine an aquaponics, rabbit and featherless chicken "habitat" that I can grow in year round.

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Use plastic barrels filled with water to line the inside walls with a shelf on top. Paint them black and they will heat up in the day and stay warm at night.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Use plastic barrels filled with water to line the inside walls with a shelf on top. Paint them black and they will heat up in the day and stay warm at night.

I was thinking about planning a long 3 foot by 3 foot by the length of the building putting a liner and filling w/ water for a fish (aquaponics) tank and as a heat sink. I was thinking it would be triple duty, a place to raise fish for me and the chickens to eat, a heat / environment control for the wallipini, and a base of water for raising some or all the crops w/ an aquaponics set up.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I do all or most of the crops in an aquaponics type set up, the whole floor could be for meat rabbits and Rudy and his offspring.

Latest posts