Unexpected frost got all my plants except a few herb that look bad but

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
some are still alive, will any come out of it or do I start over? Central Illinois.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I imagine that it'll be a do-over....for most of your plants, if not all of them. Sure am sorry to hear it, too.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It really depends how badly....If the tips of the leaves got frosted, they should be okay. If the plants are black and laying on the ground, probably not. Give it a few days and look for new growth, or if they perk up. Good luck! Mother nature can be tricky!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm wondering how big and how hardened off your plants were to start with?! If you baby them for the next few days, warm 'em up well, they may have a chance.

If they were too newly planted and not hardened off well yet as being in the process they most likely won't recover. Though some plants can recover better then others. I'm not sure what you have out yet?

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli,

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are wondering about the ability of your cauliflower and broccoli to survive that frost, better replace the tomatoes and peppers.

Your cauliflower and broccoli may come out with just a little scarring on a leaf or 2.

Sorry about the frost, I lost ALL my zinnias one year with nothing to replace them. It is always good to have some more plants on hand . . . of course, "some more plants" may be as near as the garden center.

Steve

oldchickenman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yea we just had a frost last night i had some peppers and tomatoes recovering form the last 2 frost, i think last nights frost will finish them off. good thing i havent put anything else out yet. i did plant soem egg plants last week will frosts kill them. man we are haveing some crazy weather here easternshore maryland.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
dipence71 said:
tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli,
I really sorry! I had heard that it was going down to 38 degrees F Saturday night. :hugs
I'll bet that your tomatoes and peppers are goners, but the cauliflower and broccoli oughtta do ok, because they are cool weather crops.
In an earlier post I mentioned watching Illinois gardener, where they suggested that you tack on 2 weeks beyond your last average frost date before putting outside any warm weather crops. AND, I even remember a Memorial Day that flirted with 35 degrees F for a low!!! At least you can pick up some more plants! :D I'm transplanting MY tomato seedlings now to bigger pots, that are going to live on the enclosed, windowed porch while I'm on vacation the latter half of May. I'll put all tomatoes (and tobacco plants!!) in the ground in June, when I'm back. They just cannot handle chills.

BTW, WHERE in Central Illinois are you? I live 22 miles SSE of Urbana.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! We had a close call here too. Only my spinach seemed to suffer though (which surprised me because the melons were all ok.)

Your cauliflower/broccoli should be ok, the others I'd replant.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yah, me too, unfortunately.

Cold wind and snow (kids made small snowmen on Sunday! eep) zapped new growth on lilacs, nearly all the apple blossoms, and a variety of perennials, more b/c of the cold *wind* than the cold per se I think.

But that was ok, UNTIL we had two frosts down into the mid-20s F the past two nights, and due to sheep emergency last night I forgot to cover the coldframe before bed :(

R.I.P. a dozen tomato plants overdue for putting into the ground, and all the leaves on my little potted fig tree. Although I am hoping the fig tree will come back from it.

Sigh.

Stupid weather.

Driving to big nursery tomorrow to BUY some tomato transplants (wrong varieties though), sigh,

Pat, whose container-grown lettuce and spinach on the porch are still ok, at least; and the sheep seem to be recovering

Latest posts