Unfamiliar Bean Name

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hari covert?

Haricot beans to distinguish from other "bean" legumes. But "hari covert?"

Is that somehow a derivative? Wikipedia knows the name but sends you to Green Beans and makes no reference to hari covert

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just that simple? A shortening or dialectic of haricot verte?

Strange in English -- it sounds like a Rock Group ~ Harry and the Coverts!

Too strange for me!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just that simple? A shortening or dialectic of haricot verte?

Strange in English -- it sounds like a Rock Group ~ Harry and the Coverts!

Too strange for me!
More likely, as I said, a case of only hearing someone SAY the words, and then getting the spelling and division wrong (same way I used to think that Metis, was spelled Matee, or Matey). In French, the "t" at the end is more or less silent, and the pause between the two syllables of haricot and between haritcot and verte, more or less equal. It's actually a pretty understandable mistake if you don't know the language.

I suppose it the same as a lot of people thinking the Yiddush is "Oy Ves Mir" instead of "Oy Vey Is Meir" . The "Vey" and the "Is" tend to get slurred together, so they sound like one word.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that there is a UK restaurant with that name.

Google search shows me that there are a number of menus online including this one for today at Cornell LINK:
“ FIELD ART SALADS
Asian Mix Greens: Arcadian mix, edamame, jicama, Hari Covert, tomatoes, wakame, cucumbers, red onion, carrots, roasted eggplant crispy with ginger dressing”

It must be just people having fun.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that there is a UK restaurant with that name.

Google search shows me that there are a number of menus online including this one for today at Cornell LINK:
“ FIELD ART SALADS
Asian Mix Greens: Arcadian mix, edamame, jicama, Hari Covert, tomatoes, wakame, cucumbers, red onion, carrots, roasted eggplant crispy with ginger dressing”

It must be just people having fun.

more likely it is something either auto-generated or farmed out to writers in other countries for a very low price so they wouldn't know if the text is correct or not.

i've come across news articles in recent years where you could tell it was not written by anyone remotely competent in English or was generated by a program.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
someone posted it to the strangest of places i just happen to skim once in a while. no, i'll not give it away, because, well, that was yesterday...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was yesterday's word but ...

For the first time in playing Wordle for over 3 months, I came down to the final (#6) guess and came up with nothing!

"ZESTY" That's a marketing term! It isn't even in my Merriam Webster dictionary. I had the final 4 letters with the 2nd guess and tried everything I could think of - even BESTY. Gave up and asked DD for a clue. She had to give me 2 before the marketing term occurred to me. I checked the etymology of the word "zest." Italian for orange peel - oh yeah! Zest, Zestful, Zestfulness.

I'll tell ya what, this almost matches the impudent NYTimes' choice of "EPOXY" soon after they acquired Wordle. I had that right after just a few. Fact is, it took me 4 guesses for this morning's word and I had the correct one in probably the least amount of time - ever! Probably a little jazzed up with imaginary ZEST!

Steve
who had his 2nd *booster* yesterday afternoon which may have had something to do with all of this!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
“ FIELD ART SALADS
That salad sounds wonderful. :drool

Latest posts