Up potting and it is not even spring yet.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our very unusual mild weather continues in the northeast. Today it is 75 degrees! The weather has been so unusual people are calling gardening centers asking for flower starts and vegetable plants. The suppliers for the gardening centers are asking the centers to take delivery, as the plants are starting to flower. Still, I think winter may come back and bite us in the butt ;)

I started my tomato and pepper seeds on 2/25/12 and I had to up pot them from the 3" post today, as they are growing so quickly. I am not going to complain though. :cool:

uppotting.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our garden center does not have the starts for veggies in yet, and we've been in the 80's with nothing but 70's and 80's for the next 10 days. Lots of rain though... even the evening only get down to the low 60's! I've been sleeping with the windows open and fans on. I told DD it was still winter a couple of days ago and she told me no... its almost Summer!!! HAhahaha

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife is talking like she wants to turn on the air conditioning. I said "no way." I am going to enjoy it while I can.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Our garden center does not have the starts for veggies in yet, and we've been in the 80's with nothing but 70's and 80's for the next 10 days. Lots of rain though... even the evening only get down to the low 60's! I've been sleeping with the windows open and fans on. I told DD it was still winter a couple of days ago and she told me no... its almost Summer!!! HAhahaha
Wow, it's hard to believe that SC doesn't have veggie starts in yet. You would think that at least Bonnie Plant Farm would have plants out and around. As a matter I think they are in our garden centers here already, at Lowes. I saw tomato and pepper plants at our local garden store today. I refrained from buying any, tho. ;)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Normally I would be just starting seeds now. Our last frost date is in the middle of May.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, one of your other posts got me thinking, which is a dangerous thing! But, do you plant anything in the ground or do you do it all hydroponically?

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Jack, one of your other posts got me thinking, which is a dangerous thing! But, do you plant anything in the ground or do you do it all hydroponically?

Mary
I have a small soil garden on the south side of our house. I plant a few tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers there. Between the deer munching the plants, and the soil being mostly clay, it is a challenge. We also have a patch that we plant with annual flowers. I have started the seeds for the annuals, and I grow some for my son. Between the greenhouse, and the small garden, my wife and I have a good supply of fresh produce. And, I will continue to grow lettuce indoors under lights all summer. It is cool and the plants do fantastically well. I also grow beets and chard in the basement all year round. They grow quickly under LED lighting and we love them. Beet greens are hard to find and are expensive when you do find them. I will be harvesting these today, about fifteen plants. The seeds for a replacement batch of chard are being germinated.
Jack

beet.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
jackb, what a great idea for growing beets--thanks!
btw, you REALLY need to find a stable and get some free compost. You can make a place in your yard to pile it up to age and start amending your soil. A little bit of Preen and you won't have weeds, either, from it. I use mine 4 mo and even a year or so old and it's still fluffy as if I just tilled it. Even if it gets stepped on you rake it and it fluffs.
My mother's property was scalped when they built the house in the 1960's. It's ALL clay. I even gave her a couple of chocolate mint which spread like wildfire around my garage and they sit there on the west side of her house's flowerbed as if they're on sedatives.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been dumping the used coir and perlite in the garden in the last few years, it is starting to break up the clay, and it is loaded with nutrients. Also, I dump used nutrients on the plants. The darn deer take one bite out of each green tomato though. They love pepper leaves it seems.

Latest posts