corn1.jpg

next corn and beans
cornGbeansTomatoes.jpg

and finally the squash getting its first layer
squash.jpg

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep I'm convinced this is the way to go. I started newspaper and cardboard treatments the same as you and am amazed at the weed control. I love the no-till too.
I've got wetpaper/mulch beds all over now...and adding more.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They look very healthy. :)

I do have a question, though. Do you give your goats salt blocks, or powdered salt/mineral, and if the latter, is it free-feed? Thanks! :)

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes the goats get free choice minerals for goats. They also get free choice baking soda.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The reason I ask, is because the goats I've seen with free-choice powdered salt/mineral, enjoy eating quite a lot of it. And we're about to switch to it because of some new goats we're getting. (Today.) My goats have, previously, used a large block.

I was concerned that using their straw, from here forward, would put too much salt into the garden if I used it, if they eat as much of it as I think they are going to. Maybe not in a year, but over time.

How long have you been putting yours into your garden?

Also, I do have to ask, what benefits are you finding from baking soda? And are your goats standard size, or pygmy/dwarves?

Thanks for the information, I appreciate you taking the time. :)

sweetshoplady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the valuable tip on the carboard - goat poo. I'll be doing that in my garden. I'm just getting the ground ready at this point as planting time won't be for a while, a couple months.

My goats get free choice minerals, and they have access to my horses salt block. So I only put out minerals a little at a time.

Your garden looks beautiful! Nice job!

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know what or how much minerals or salt is being passed through the goat poo, I do know that it works well in my garden. That is a good question though and when the garden is done this year I think I will have a soil sample done.

I prefer the lose minerals for goats over the block for horses. DH made me a PVC feeder for the minerals and they just love the stuff. I used to get the block for goats but the kids thought it was a launching pad. As far as the baking soda if the goats eat something that upsets them the soda helps with bloating, they all love it even the little ones. I have put a block so the kids can reach the feeder. Some of the goats chow down on the minerals and some don't. On average I fill the mineral feeder up about every 2 weeks.

I have been using goat poo in the garden for 7-8 years. I raise Boer and BoerX and at the present time we have 47 goats.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did you sow the seeds in directly after putting the mulch/poo down? I noticed that the first picture is in april and you already have these beautiful plants.
I am wondering how well this would work with chicken poo, we have pine shavings down though.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The corn and green beans and squash I direct sowed, the tomatoes and peppers I purchased already started. I waited till the direct sowed stuff was big enough to see good then put the cardboard/poo down. On the squash I waited a little longer cause I put 5 seeds in each hill and thined out the 3 weekest ones then put the cardboard/poo down.

Latest posts