Update on human hair...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I resemble that remark!

My barber is getting-to-be an old woman! But, she is a real live barber . . . who puts up with us olde men :rolleyes:.

Marmots have to be about the same as groundhogs -- they are from the same genus. When I had a garden next door to a park, I felt I had to put up with the marmots; didn't always put up with them but felt that I had to.
:duc.

They seemed like real slow learners but they figured things out after awhile and must have told the grandkids, too. When I first arrived, they wouldn't eat quite a few things that I grew, like onions. Cabbage was even safe, the 1st year or 2. But, they learned.

I built and maintained a chickenwire fence with the "floppy top" that kept the fat things from climbing over. The bottom 6" of the wire was buried and the corner posts (where the wire had to be taut) had something on top to keep the marmots from using them to get in.

Before their summer hibernation season - 1 or 2 always found a way into the garden. Always!

Probably "refreshing" the hair would be a good idea. Trying other things might keep them off-balance, too. Maybe none by themselves but a "gamut" of weirdness might keep them out.

I am curious, do groundhogs hibernate during late summer? I figured the marmots finally got so fat they couldn't get out of their burrows. But, it did give me a break along in August.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The groundhogs in NY State hibernate after the hard frost date- October or so... No break from them, until growing season is over. I am thinking I will need some "new" hair before long...I am guessing the human scent is being washed off by mother nature. But, so far, so good!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over on SS or BYC forum (can't remember which one) they say human urine keeps predators away from the chicken coop. Wonder if that would work for the perimeter of a garden, in keeping groundhogs, rabbits and squirrels away? The neighbors already think we're weird.....:rolleyes: