Update on my garden

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a little update on my garden. All of my herbs are dead, one of my cherry tomato plants died, the regular tomato plant might be heading that way (no leaves on it anymore). I got one good tomato out of it. I never replanted any corn or anything so my carrots are the only thing still doing well.

When I planted the carrots and they sprouted, I left more than normal in the container so that I could pull up the smaller ones throughout the growing process to watch how they grow. The roots have turned orange on the smallest one, so lord only knows what the bigger plants are like. Hopefully I'll have about a dozen good carrots out of this.

This Fall, I'm going to take a hoe to the backyard and tear it apart so that all the weeds are gone and all thats left is dirt. Then I'm going to get some compost from the garden store (since I have been unable to start my own compost pile) and mix it into the dirt. That way when spring time comes around, I'll have good dirt to start planting in along with my containers. For next year, I'm trying the tomatoes again, more carrots, cucumbers, corn, and perhaps some kind of berry bush.

Question: How does one get carrot seeds to plant the following year? Do you allow the carrot plant to go to seed and then harvest the seeds? I've never seen a carrot plant up close before, so I have no idea. Also, how does this affect the developing carrot?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the losses in your garden, Soybean, that's a shame.

Yes, you allow them to go to seed. But to be honest, you have so few, why don't you just enjoy your carrots, and buy a new pack of seeds in the spring?

I have a thought on you building your soil. Why don't you go and get some Austrian Field Peas, or other nitrogen fixing cover crop, and seed the areas you want to plant next year.

In the spring, when the cover crop is lush and green, till it into the soil. Then you've done even more than add compost. Naturally you'll want to add compost to the soil anyway, as long as it's nicely aged.

I have one more idea. Do you like garlic? If so, you can take an eensy weensy corner of the garden, and plant some in October or so. (I'm sorry, I've forgotten where you are, you might need to plant it earlier where you are, you should double check that.) Then, come next summer, you'll have a nice harvest from this fall! :)

It won't interfere with your plans, as it takes very little space. Take only the largest cloves from a head, plant them point up about an inch deep....unless it's been raining, or is going to, then a little deeper, at about 4" apart. You can fit a lot in a small area. Just a thought!

Anyway, good luck with the work you're about to do, and good for you for not giving up! :coolsun

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We love garlic. I took a bit and planted it in a container, having been told it would sprout in the Fall. Its already sprouted and the green "leaf" (its kind of still folded up) is nearly 4 inches tall.

Oh, I had another question. Someone told me that water from your fish tank when you do a water change can be used to water the garden. Is this true? Is it good for the plants at all? It would save the water usage if so because I change 3gallons of water per week. :) Every little bit helps.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very hard to hear about how things are turning out but at least you have the right attitude for next year.

I completely agree with Tutter's suggestions.

And yes, you can use freshwater tank water. We do.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear things are going badly. It will give you horror stories to tell to others in future years :p

Aren't carrots biennials? (Having never grown them *well*, and not at all in the last 15 yrs or so, I don't truly remember). If so you would have to leave some in til next spring/summer to get seeds. Which under the circumstances doesn't seem worth it. You should get to eat SOMEthing you grow, this year ;)

Another good idea for fall is to drive around and pick up everybody's bags of raked-up leaves they set on the curb for pickup (if you're in a rural area, go to a town to do this). Also if you happen to have any neighbors who you KNOW do not use lawn chemicals but they bag their clippings, offer to take 'em off their hands. And finally, after Halloween is over, go round to the stores that sold Decorative Bales Of Straw and see how cheap they might sell their leftovers to you, esp. if they are nasty and moldy and saggy (which is perfectly fine for your purposes). Dump all of the above onto your soil. If you are feeling vigorous or can get access to a tiller, till the dead leaves into the soil (I wouldn't bother for the rest of the stuff, let 'em just sit on top). Then in spring, dig or till it all together and you should have much better soil.

Yes, fishtank water is fine for the garden, although I wouldn't get it directly onto leaves/fruits you'll be eating. It is a good source of N and P.

Good luck, hang in there,

Pat

Latest posts