Updated Picture of Compost Pile

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I "feed" it everytime I turn it and it just keeps getting bigger. Had to put together a double width pile to hold it all in one pile. Now it's time to start refilling the single width piles. I have a LOT of raised boxes to fill. LOL

6615_php9nosjspm.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks as though it's about ready to use. I started a new one about a month ago and right now it just looks pretty much like a pile of dead grasss.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A whole lot of it is ready, but I, really, won't need to use it until fall.....so I just keep pouring the "green" to it when I turn it and keep letting it "do it's thang". Sure does smell "earthy" when I turn it, too. Love that smell.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just a side note.........I do cover the top of the piles with large black plastic bags in between turning and adding water. And, I ONLY use rain water to moisten the piles (have always read that the chemicals in "city" water have a tendency to impede the micro-herds). Taking these steps does seem to speed up the decomposition rate. I also add urine every other day or so, also.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Just a side note.........I do cover the top of the piles with large black plastic bags in between turning and adding water. And, I ONLY use rain water to moisten the piles (have always read that the chemicals in "city" water have a tendency to impede the micro-herds). Taking these steps does seem to speed up the decomposition rate. I also add urine every other day or so, also.
That "golden elixir" really does the job and there's no odor if you lift the top of the pile and pour it under that, then water it in lightly.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You got that right.....on all counts. Althought, I don't "dilute" by watering in. I "gather up" enough, at a time, to do the work, in quantity (I make and drink 6 to 8 pots of coffee a day). LOL

Absolutely NO smell. It is SERIOUS stuff to get a pile activating.

Latest posts