Upside down tomatoes

debiraymond

Sprout
Reaction score
Are they any good? I have a black thumb and if all I have to do is water it MAYBE it won't die.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
debiraymond :welcome Hey good to see ya here on BYC sister site. :frow Upside is actually just the way to plant them and not the kind of tomato. You could use a 2 1/2 to 5 gal bucket with a hole cut using a key hole saw in the bottom and hang it on a sturdy hanger. Just take your favorite tomato plant and put it leaf and stock out the hole. This leaves the roots inside the bucket and then add your potting soil. To make it a bit lighter use 1/2 and 1/2 peat moss mixture with potting soil and then when you water get your bucket on a regular feeding schedule. :watering Give it a try :tools

:D Karan :coolsun

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome
There is a whole thread on Topsy Turvey tomatoes. Mixed reviews. Mine rotted. lol

debiraymond

Sprout
Reaction score
setter4 said:
There is a whole thread on Topsy Turvey tomatoes. Mixed reviews. Mine rotted. lol
That doesn't bode well for someone like me..... :/

HarlansHollowAussies

Leafing Out
Reaction score
debiraymond said:
setter4 said:
I have heard just the opposite, some say theirs get dried out to quickly. I just got a Gardeners Supply mag and the containers there have a self-watering resivior, maybe that would would better, I may have to try them!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HarlansHollowAussies said:
debiraymond said:
setter4 said:
I have heard just the opposite, some say theirs get dried out to quickly. I just got a Gardeners Supply mag and the containers there have a self-watering resivior, maybe that would would better, I may have to try them!
I think my problem started out that way....it dried out too quickly so I over compensated and then the water ran out the bottom onto the puny little tomato and rotted it! lol Good thing the 20 other upright tomato plants in the garden did better.
My Dad bought me the topsy turvey thingy last year and he asked me about it last week. I told him "The dog ate it! :gig

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is one of the easiest things to grow IMO. One thing that several miss out on which helps is when the tomato is planted in the bottom plant beans of some type (I use asphragus green beans because they clim) in the top. Beans put nitrogen in the ground which aids the tomato plant. I grow them every year and they hang on the deck. It it covered by a "french trellus"(per the DW) so the beans have a place to climb to. Th generally only grow grape or silver dollar tomatoes to cut back on the weight. Once they start to produce i get fresh tomatoes to eat for lunch everyday that I picked that morning.

chickenchalupa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you grow sweet peppers on the bottom, could you grow cherry tomatos on the top?