Urban bee article

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a massive yellow jacketed hornet nest in my garden. I would sit with my head directly in front of the hole in the ground. Yellow jackets would come in and out of the porthole and whiz around my head like fighter jets making carrier landings, or commuter planes coming in and out of O'hare International. Scary and cool, but i never got stung. Just got some curious looks like, "why is this giant forehead in my way?" I pet my bumble bees and carpenter bees. They have a soft fur, and don't mind a gentle stroking when they are busy gathering nectar.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of taking honey without a veil- our bees are gentle, but I wouldn't take that chance. Time of day is crucial. Early evening seems to work best for us. I do take notice of the bees mood, when I approach. I know it seems funny- but you can tell right away if they are calm or agitated. Thistle, that would be perfect if you had a mentor to help you with starting with bees. That makes everything so much easier!
Sunsaver, it sounds like you better get yourself some bees!!

mtnangel

Sprout
Reaction score
I can't wait to start having bees! Sounds so exciting! I have a 50 x 70 garden my husband and I started and will keep the bees there... or should they be somewhere else?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have a spot outside your garden- I would recommend that. However, there is nothing wrong with having the bees in the garden (if that is your only choice). There is something called a "bee path" which is the preferred direction the bees go in and out of the hive. If you are working in the garden and are in front of this bee path-it might be disturbing to you and the bees. When they are really busy- it is like rush hour. Hundreds of bees coming and going along that path...

Latest posts