Use a Pressure Cooker?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
somewhere i read that most pressure cookers/canners before the 70's are not considered safe to use. it might have been because of what happened at the Boston Marathon a few years ago.

but this is where i read that i just need to use caution.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_press_canners.html
the one that worries me is not the Presto since i know it isn't that old. it is the Maid of Honor that i can't figure out how old it is. both cookers have their weighted gauge & gasket but i haven't used them since we got them.

the pressure canner is brand new so i have no fear of using that when i need to.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do use mind often. Perhaps that's why I don't leave food on the counter to defrost. The meat cooks so quickly in the pressure cooker that there is little need to defrost first.

Yesterday I made BBQ beef -- in the pressure cooker -- for supper sandwiches for the Grands and myself. DH won't eat my food so I had to take him out for supper first.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Presto Cookers are great and gaskets can be had for them, they Presto cookers are, I think, one of the best. They have a high pressure valve that will blow excess pressure, and that very rarely happens. The C students that decided them unsafe are themselves in question..

Just wondered, I see them as a great tool, look into using yours, some items are not only done much faster, but better! Veggies and other and meats have their goodness cooked into not out of them.

Thanks for taking time to post.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi Red, I have to agree with you, meats can be cooked to a softness that would take hours otherwise, like Beef Ribs, pressure cooked before grilling or baking.

When people type: DH, that stand for dear husband, right?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm never sure if it means dear, darn, or something else so I try to avoid that terminology. :hide
:yuckyuck Funny, but I've never thought of it that way until my last post. I guess I first saw it used as dearH, DS, DD, DMIL, etc and never thought more about it. I have tried to use 'spouse', but I get lazy and revert to DH.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am guessing that my pressure canners are not in the dangerous catagory. They have certainly never been a problem for me.

I purchased them both in the mid to late 1970s and the article discussed earlier models and the changes to pressure canners/cookers in the early 70s. Pressure cookers (I have three) are much the same period.