Use Ginger and/or Turmeric? Grow it?

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The recommended regular consumption, based on available studies, mainly depends on the condition it is being used to treat. The majority of adult research supports the healthy use of 400 to 600 milligrams (mg) of pure turmeric powder three times a day, or 1 to 3 grams (g) of grated or dried turmeric root per day.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did manage to find some nicely sprouted fresh ginger at the supermarket one year and planted it. It grew, but it doesnt have that nice zing that the shop ones have, so I havent really done anything with it except make sure the weeds dont overwhelm it.
More recently, I found some Myoga Ginger. This is the one that you use the flower buds. I actually noticed that it was flowering this week, picked 20 flowers and tried a Japanese pickling recipe with them. These are in the fridge at the moment and need at least another couple of days before I try them. Smelt good though.

I also have Tumeric growing....barely, but again havent done anything with it other than look longingly at it and wondering why its not doing that great.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love making ginger tea every night after dinner! It settles the stomach and is very relaxing. I usually buy the fresh root from the store as I never tried growing it. My friend has gathered wild ginger and says it's a lot weaker than the stuff at the store. I'll be interested to see how your ginger does Insoaps! I hope it is wonderful!

singhpankaj62

Sprout
Reaction score
I used to have a turmeric, honey, and black pepper tea base that I would drink religiously in the winter to clear my sinuses when I got sniffly. Mixed it all together in a little jar, and would add a spoon of it to a cup of hot water a few times a day with a squeeze of lemon. I'm not sure it actually did anything health wise, but it sure was tasty.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am really a fan of ginger and turmeric. But what I really want is to plant them. I'm just not sure how..
Apparently we need to use hops with what ever soil is used, as for the soil mix I still need to know. :)

Latest posts