Uses for jam other than on toast?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made an inordinate amount of jam last year: strawberry, mulberry/raspberry, blueberry-spice, peach-orange. Gave a good amount away over the holidays, but kept a few jars of each flavor for myself. I now have about six jars of jam left in the pantry, and looks like I will have a strawberry harvest in about four weeks so long as the slugs keep their distance.

I feel that I should use it up before the next crop of jam-destined fruit arrives, but how? Other than toast, English muffins, pancakes, PB&J and the odd batch of jelly doughnuts, we really do not use the stuff. I could have pancakes every day for a month and still have jam left over.

Only other thing I can think of, make pound cake cupcakes and put little dollops of jam in them, sorta like TastyKake jelly krimpets. Or jelly roll cakes. But we are very much cake'd out here, as I've been trying to use up winter squash and canned peaches too--resulting in a lot of pumpkin spice cakes with chopped peaches mixed in.

Other ideas? Google has lots of recipes to make jam (as if I need more), not so much on the recipes calling for jam.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The peach orange would probably make a good meat glaze. Melt it and pour it over cooked pork or add it to some BBQ sauce. Others would be good over ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese cake, smoothies. You can mix a 1/2 cup into brownie mix. Also makes nice gifts to nursing home patients as long as they are not diabetics...

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
if you have some yogurt mix it with that and then put them in cups cover with plastic wrap then stick a wooden stick in them and pop them in the freezer perfect for summertime treats and the best popsicle ever

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
if you have no yogurt freeze as is with a stick still a great popsicle

popcornpuppy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I vote for pancakes. Either add some jam to the mix or put it on top after they are cooked. :drool

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I heat it up and pour it over waffles or pancakes... I use it as meat glazes... I use it in stuffings... I use some 'jellies' as sweetener for teas. A little on some shortbread goes a LONG way for a snack!

I usually sell most of my jellies... but I always save some for gifts.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I heat it up and pour it on ice cream and I use it in crepes.
How about baked french toast, you put the french toast in a casserole dish with cream cheese and jam.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hear ya. Until this year, when both kids suddenly discovered PB&J's, I have had major jam/jelly/preserve/marmalade overload. I *love* making them, but even when you only make 4-6 cups' worth per batch, it really adds up.

Things I used to do before kids started suckin' it all down themselves:

--gifts
--more gifts
--stir into yogurt
--meat or poultry or fish glaze
--mix w/oil/vinegar/spices for a salad dressing
--use instead of sugar when making bread (either real or quick-)
--use as glaze for fresh fruit pie/tart
--sweeten iced tea
--soften ice cream, swirl jelly in, refreeze briefly to re-firm
--make really spicy-hot chicken wings or meatballs, then drizzle w/jelly

Have fun,

Pat

Latest posts