Uses for small (4x4) hoop house

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Boyfriend built me two 4x4 raised beds last year. This year he put a hoop house on one of them. So far it's really doing great, temperature-wise. Today it was up to 129, on a 75-ish and sunny-ish day. I haven't planted anything in it yet, just superheating the soil. I'm thinking of doing my melons in there, but I'm not sure how well that will work because they will essentially vine right out of the thing shortly. I'm wondering though if it would work well because the roots will still be protected from a lot of rain and will be warmer.

I generally do poorly with melons up here in short, cold season, and would love to have a melon out of my own garden.

Thoughts?

6992_hoophouse.jpg

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I built two this year and I am loving them. I have cabbage that is about 6 weeks ahead of everyone elses. My broccoli has head that are almost the size of tennis balls and my onions are looking great. I have used my buttercrunch lettuce already and I also used some of my scallions also. I never have veggies this earlier. Everyone has been planting their gardens this week and I have been weeding mine.

Oh yeah my peas are starting to bloom and my carrots are also up. If you have melons to go in I would definitely get them started. Do make sure you water them though because with the covered top they don't get the rain and they use more water because it is hotter.

I uncovered my this week because our weather is fine for the veggies now.

I am going to be using it for a fall planting also. Happy gardening.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Melons just sprouted and are still in the basement grow box - with artificial lights and heat mats.

They'll be in there another 2 weeks maybe, then out to the hoop house.

Thanks for the advice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See? There's SCG's blue cold frame again . . . You need to give us the dimensions of that thing . . . and, why is it blue?

I used to know an old guy who grew the giant pumpkins - isn't that right up your alley, SCG?

He had 1 by 4 frames and tacked plastic to them. I'm not sure how much attention they took but he enjoyed growing pumpkins ;).

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Answers to your burning questions are in the other thread on cold frames.

Yes, giant pumpkins are right up my alley (I actually got ducks to I'd have a ready source of poo water for fertilizing), as are getting some darned melons in this climate. I have some "short season" canteloupe this year that I'm hoping make it. I'm thinking I'll put 6 plants in the 4x4, 2 pumpkin, 2 canteloupe and 2 watermelon.

Latest posts