Using Aquarium Water in Garden

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does the java moss clog your filters ? I don't think my fish are eating the plants, more like they enjoy chewing them up.Then they clog the intake pipe of filter.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it will eventually unless it's kept trimmed back & attached to a rock or driftwood, or mesh like i've seen with some of the landscaped tanks i envy. the 55 is the worst with the moss getting into the strainer & have to clean the intake about once/week. the 20 gallon tanks have smaller filters that submerge in the tank so they don't seem to have as many issues. the size of the fish may help with the difference in tank issues.

just cleaned one of my 20 gallon tank filters & bottled up the water for later use on my seedlings.this tank doesn't have much for moss & there are only 2 medium goldfish in it-ryukin with a single tail & a white double tail. i have the 55 gallon tank with my koi & black catfish to pull the canister filter & rinse out. the 55 has a massive amount of moss & it isn't nice quality as the platty tank's supply. the 3 tanks have different lighting-55 has fluorescent while the 2 20 gallons have different LED setups-plattys have the blue white combo & the goldfish have a full spectrum i can adjust the range of colors with remote.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i built a 600 gallon pond last year for the koi. i just like bringing them in for the winter. trying to keep a spot in the pond thawed to let the gasses escape in the winter can be a pain in the behind when it gets too cold for many days. i eventually want to get a heater or air stone setup i can run out to the pond when the fish get too big to bring in.