using seeds from store bought produce

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
if i were to use a seed or two i got from a store bought bell pepper - would they grow?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Probably not but it never hurts to try. Last year I got seeds from some organic peppers at my store. I didn't get one plant from either the poblano or habanero peppers but I did get a few from the serrano just not as good as my usual germination rate.

PennyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It cant hurt to try right, i have used seeds from green peppers and they did grow for me last year, so good luck.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've gotten a LOT of store bought produce seeds to grow. However, I've never had luck with bell peppers. Some people have, but I for one haven't.

Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The problem with trying to germinate seeds from *green* bell peppers, specifically, is that they are often (I'd say usually?) not fully mature. That being kind of the point of a green pepper, that it is usually an *immature* pepper.

Sometimes you will get ones with mature-looking tan/brown seeds in it, I assume it's a variety thing but I don't know for sure -- those would be worth trying, if you don't mind the fact that commercial peppers are all hybrids so the seeds won't reproduce the parent very reliably.

Seeds from MATURE commercial peppers, sweet or hot, generally germinate and grow fine. Although again, esp. for the sweet ones, they're usually hybrids so offspring will be variable and not necessarily quite what you might want.

Have fun,

Pat

m.rogers

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
I've gotten a LOT of store bought produce seeds to grow. However, I've never had luck with bell peppers. Some people have, but I for one haven't.

Good luck!
vfem
can you tell us what store bought that you have got to grow from seed

thanks
mike

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im also a pepper failure. Ive tried both green, sweet peppers as well as dried mature peppers. Neither did worth a flip. Tomatoes werent any better. Now, cantalopes and beans, thats another story. They do great! I suspect is has as much to do with hybridization as anything.

However, there are exceptions, as with the melons and beans I mentioned. So it might be worth just trying each thing at the store.
When you find on that works, there you go.

Im about convinced that it is better to buy open pollinated seed, created to be heirloom or type true. Store and handle it properly and propogate from it, if you want. It is appearing like false economy to depend on market produce as a seed source.