using the bunny poop....

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure at all if I did this right so I need you guys to tell me. :idunno
I cleaned out the bunny cage and gathered all the poop, then we put it directly around all the veg plants in the garden and gave a good watering. I guess you could say we mounded it around the plants. I thought I read someplace that the bunny poo doesnt need composted down. was this the right way to use this stuff. I didnt feel like I knew what I was doing at all besides guessing.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I raised bunnies last year (I just gave them up yesterday). And what i did was just dump the poop into the garden. I didn't have a very stellar year this year and I thought it was poor soil then I had a soil test done and it came out great. But I did talk to my extension agent and he said never add straight to the garden. So I am confused. I think you can and it would be good but that if added in large amounts like I was doing (I raised a lot of bunnies, meat production) then the nutrients may not be readily available to the plants. So depending on how much you add would matter.

I also think that manure is more of a soil amendment and not so much a fertilizer. I had added so much that the soil was not soil but little bunny balls. I especially added it to the peppers but never got many peppers. Then I added some blood meal around the peppers and I got some serious pepper production.

So I basically have no answer. But adding the poop to your garden will result in great soil.

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rabbit droppings are a cold fertilizer and can be used straight off or left to compost down, its especially awesome for raising worms.

The peppers didn't do so well because bunny poo is high nitrogen and Peppers dont need it.
Gives beautiful bushy lush foliage but inhibits fruit production.
adding the Bone meal actually balanced out the nitrogen resulting in a higher yield of pepper fruit.

I add Rabbit poo to my gardens all winter long the Till into the soil in spring.

If you want really huge roses, add rabbit manure to the base in the fall and let winter over, come spring you will be amazed at the leaf production and the bud/ flower size.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sunstar said:
Rabbit droppings are a cold fertilizer and can be used straight off or left to compost down, its especially awesome for raising worms.

The peppers didn't do so well because bunny poo is high nitrogen and Peppers dont need it.
Gives beautiful bushy lush foliage but inhibits fruit production.
adding the Bone meal actually balanced out the nitrogen resulting in a higher yield of pepper fruit.

I add Rabbit poo to my gardens all winter long the Till into the soil in spring.

If you want really huge roses, add rabbit manure to the base in the fall and let winter over, come spring you will be amazed at the leaf production and the bud/ flower size.
Same with goat poo. Matter of fact I have heard any type of pelleted poo is a slow-burner and perfect for direct application....

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just got rabbits this weekend, I'm very excited about using their poo to help my very clay soil. Hooray Rabbits!! :bun

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG,

Show us your bunnies! How old are they?

Ron :bun

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
blue skys said:
I just got rabbits this weekend, I'm very excited about using their poo to help my very clay soil. Hooray Rabbits!! :bun
Dont forget to set up a worm bed under their cages,
a soil with out worms is just soil, a soil with tons of worms is a healthy garden.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I raised bunnies last year (I just gave them up yesterday). And what i did was just dump the poop into the garden. I didn't have a very stellar year this year and I thought it was poor soil then I had a soil test done and it came out great. But I did talk to my extension agent and he said never add straight to the garden. So I am confused. I think you can and it would be good but that if added in large amounts like I was doing (I raised a lot of bunnies, meat production) then the nutrients may not be readily available to the plants. So depending on how much you add would matter.

I also think that manure is more of a soil amendment and not so much a fertilizer. I had added so much that the soil was not soil but little bunny balls. I especially added it to the peppers but never got many peppers. Then I added some blood meal around the peppers and I got some serious pepper production.

So I basically have no answer. But adding the poop to your garden will result in great soil.
I may be slammed here. However, after 15 years of research...with all due respect...please read all you can about "blood meal" and Mad Cow. Or read or look up Deadly Feasts - by Richard Rhodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rhodes

His interviews with researchers and the "common" use of blood meal are terrifying. The fine dust goes straight up your nose to your brain. If you insist on using the product, I would use a very good dust mask with a very good filter. :ep

Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
obsessed said:

I may be slammed here. However, after 15 years of research...with all due respect...please read all you can about "blood meal" and Mad Cow. Or read or look up Deadly Feasts - by Richard Rhodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rhodes

His interviews with researchers and the "common" use of blood meal are terrifying. The fine dust goes straight up your nose to your brain. If you insist on using the product, I would use a very good dust mask with a very good filter. :ep
Yikes!!! Good to know!

Well we have bunny, goat and chicken poop so I will be able to make a mean compost. yep yep

Latest posts