Vanilla Extract...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just whipped some up... now for it to age just right! :D

14084_11-22-2011_016.jpg

Posted about it here: http://fromseed.blogspot.com/2011/11/just-in-time-for-holiday-baking-vanilla.html

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
neat! my dh did this last year when a friend of ours bought vanilla beans as gifts for everyone! he used it to make vanilla extract and vanilla sugar! made for some wonderful cheesecakes and other recipes!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I never tried it. How do you go about it?
Easy peasy... split some vanilla beans, stuff in bottles and cover with unflavors pure vodka. Let sit and age. :)

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
hoodat said:
Easy peasy... split some vanilla beans, stuff in bottles and cover with unflavors pure vodka. Let sit and age. :)
I make vanilla all the time. I used to use vodka, but I have found I like rum better. Not the spiced, of course!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
jennh said:
vfem said:
hoodat said:
I make vanilla all the time. I used to use vodka, but I have found I like rum better. Not the spiced, of course!
Well I use the rum and vanilla for myself only to bake with. :) Husband says it tastes slightly different when I baked the cookies with 2 different kinds... so the rum vanilla (Bacardi white) is what I bake my biscotti in. I was just asked repeatedly to make vanilla for friends since I get such good deals on wholesale product, so some of these bottles will be gifted this holiday... the rest sold to make my money back! lol :rolleyes:

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is so fun to make! I made a whole bunch of them. Found the federal minimum to call extract extract was something like 14 ounces per gallon of liquid.... after some math, I put 3.5 beans in per 4 ounce jar of pure vodka. I aged mine for 4 months.

Used beans = vanilla vodka. LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
It is so fun to make! I made a whole bunch of them. Found the federal minimum to call extract extract was something like 14 ounces per gallon of liquid.... after some math, I put 3.5 beans in per 4 ounce jar of pure vodka. I aged mine for 4 months.

Used beans = vanilla vodka. LOL
Usually the perfect age is within months! 4 weeks is usually good for me. Though I do start using it within a week if you use GOOD moist plump beans. Those super dried beans like you get at the grocery store take forever! :p

Latest posts