Vermicomposters...where did you purchase your worms?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am going to construct my own vermicomposting bin (if I like the concept, I'll purchase one, but I'm cheap!). But I of course, need the worms :)

Where did you purchase yours? I know there are several websites and I'm just looking for recommendations or comments...Thanks!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beats me...I asked this question days ago, and still haven't received an answer!!!

I ended up ordering from Topline, but only because it looked like they were here in town (on their website). I called them the next day, and I won't get my worms until next week (they are shipping them in from another state, and they are on back order).:(

I can't recommend Topline much, except that I called them and they got back to me in about an hour...pretty friendly...I dunno.:hu

I can PM you whe I receive my worms next week and let you know how they look,if you want.:)

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
By the way-greetings from a fellow BYC "chick" (haha). I just looked at your home page-very cool. I love all the windows in your coop!!

:frow

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Desertgirl-

That would be great, if you don't mine pming me :)

Thanks for checking out my BYC page, I've never done a blog/page thing before & once I got started...well I just can't stop! I love to brag about my "girls," chickens are just so cool :D Yes, the chickens love the windows & so do I, so I can spy on them.

Do you have a BYC page? I'd love to check out your chickens!

I'm a newbie @ all this stuff (chickens, compost, vermi) too, it has been really fun though...and people think I have lost my mind!

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just a thought on your worms : I was reading an article on vermicomposting that recomended using redworms aka red wigglers and thought I would mention that a lot of bait& tackle shops sell them by the dozen for fishermen,
Not to be confused with canadian nightcrawlers , call around to some bait stores and ask specifically for "red wigglers" and probably the first place you call can tell you if they have them or of another place that does. With warm weather coming on fast, I don't know how well the worms will ship if you have to order them online or from a catalog. Good luck worm farming!:)

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will certainly PM you when I get my little red wigglers.

I haven't designed my BYC page yet, but I did figure out how to post pics the other day-check out under Raising Baby Chicks.."First attempt at posting pics"..those are my girls (and my garden)!

I'm a newbie,too-but I sure am having fun with all of this. It's such a cool idea to have your chickens help your garden /help your worms /help your chickens .....and so on.;)

Very cool! I can't wait 'till the garden starts producing (my chickens too,for that matter!).

I made my vermicomposter-you said you were going to buy one?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
jlmann said:
Hey guys! Just a thought on your worms : I was reading an article on vermicomposting that recomended using redworms aka red wigglers and thought I would mention that a lot of bait& tackle shops sell them by the dozen for fishermen,
Not to be confused with canadian nightcrawlers , call around to some bait stores and ask specifically for "red wigglers" and probably the first place you call can tell you if they have them or of another place that does. With warm weather coming on fast, I don't know how well the worms will ship if you have to order them online or from a catalog. Good luck worm farming!:)
I need to have my dh check around for me. He fishes a lot & is always picking up worms here and there. Thanks for the idea :)

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
I will certainly PM you when I get my little red wigglers.

I haven't designed my BYC page yet, but I did figure out how to post pics the other day-check out under Raising Baby Chicks.."First attempt at posting pics"..those are my girls (and my garden)!

I'm a newbie,too-but I sure am having fun with all of this. It's such a cool idea to have your chickens help your garden /help your worms /help your chickens .....and so on.;)

Very cool! I can't wait 'till the garden starts producing (my chickens too,for that matter!).

I made my vermicomposter-you said you were going to buy one?
I just checked out your post & your girls are so cute! I'm going to attempt to hatch my own silkies next year. But sometimes I wonder if I can wait that long :lol: Your garden is so nice & well put together...very impressive!

I originally was going to buy...but after doing a little research, I'm going to attempt to construct my own :fl I am a cheapskate sometimes... so I figure if I construct my own and I see that my homemade worm bin isn't fitting my needs, then...I may purchase one :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm doing (build my own and hope, fail and buy one!). There's a really cool you tube video on worm bin construction-let me see if I can find it...

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess You Tube is blocked (I am at work, and the only slacking I do is on BYC and TEG!!!).

There's quite a bit of info on there,though.Just type in Building a worm bin, and quite a few things come up.

Good luck!

Latest posts