Very first

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As a first year gardener, i also got some radishes from the garden. But like someone else mentioned, at least half of them in the same bed never "fattened up"..You could see the radish bulb because of the color, but it was only as thick as the stem. ALL of my beets did the same things..Does anyone know what may have gone wrong? I should have taken pictures..

I didn't know that you could eat the radish greens..I always give them to the bunny and he loves them!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The usual cause of thin radish roots is overcrowding. Low calcium will also do it. They are heavy users of calcium as are all of the cole crops. Also don't forget thet all radishes are not round. French Breakfast and some others are cylindrical.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I cleared out that bed yesterday and am going to "juice it up" before I try it again. Both of your suggestions could be right in this case..I did put them in tight and did do any fertilizing before I used the bed. I really don't even like radishes. I just wanted to plant something that was foolproof so I'd feel productive even if nothing else grew!

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
I cleared out that bed yesterday and am going to "juice it up" before I try it again. Both of your suggestions could be right in this case..I did put them in tight and did do any fertilizing before I used the bed. I really don't even like radishes. I just wanted to plant something that was foolproof so I'd feel productive even if nothing else grew!
FYI If you have the space available, it would be better for the soil if you don't plant the radishes in the same spot every year.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good to know! I will probably not plant radishes again at all, since i don't like them! I am much more fond of warm weather crops, so hopefully I'll be betetr with the next batch of whatever goes in.