Very Tall Sunflowers edit 9-9 picture reposted

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have been on the road quite a bit lately, and the sunflowers have really taken off. Next year I won't wait until it's too late to thin them out. There are a few too many and they are shading the pumpkins a bit too much. I never imagined this happening when I planted the seeds!
7434_garden_8-12-2011_010.jpg
:weight

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that funny?? I have one like that too! It just kept growing- I thought the flower would be huge, but it is just average size! Enjoy!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's quite amazing to see how tall they can get! :bee
Nice Picture!! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I am jealous! Mine only got as tall as my 4 year old. Total bummer! I thinned mine too, so they look really sad now. :lol:

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm bummed mine...are only 4 ft or so but big heads... my chickens are gonna love the seeds...I have to cover them soon before the squrrels find them...then dry them

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I grew some this year. 2 kinds. The little ones on one stem..and finally the huge single one on one stem. My question is...how do you dry the head of seeds for the chickens..and protect them from birds and squirrels. (?) The 2nd question is....are the stalks good for recycling in the garden? I was hoping they might be useful for something. If not, they will just go in the bottom of the new compost piles, for drainage.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dry the heads by hanging them upside down on my clothesline in the basement. I cut one down as needed. The chickens will eat them anytime- dry or not. They really do love them in the depths of winter, though!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I dry the heads by hanging them upside down on my clothesline in the basement. I cut one down as needed. The chickens will eat them anytime- dry or not. They really do love them in the depths of winter, though!
Ok, so like a cool dark, and dry place? I might have a building that fits that description. I would love to be able to give them to the chickens during the winter, when I have no fresh garden veggies to give them. I think that is a grand idea :celebrate