Vinegar for my alkaline soil?

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My veggies are stunted and I'm pretty sure it's because our soil here is ph9 :(, although it is a decent texture. I've been reading that lightly watering with 2 tablespoons of vinegar per gallon of water will help acidify the soil immediately around the plants. Sort of a short-term fix for a long-term issue. Has anyone tried this? Would I use plain white vinegar or apple cidar vinegar? How often would I use the vinegar water? How long before I would see results? The squash and melons are looking okay, but my poor tomatoes and peppers are puny and sad. HELP!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First I'd have a complete soil test done. You can get it at your county extension office. If the soil needs acidifying vinegar is not a good choice. Since it's organic the soil organisms quickly eat it up. Sulphur in some form is your best bet. Alkaline soil is usually also light in usable calcium so gypsum (which contains sulphur) should do the job.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
First I'd have a complete soil test done. You can get it at your county extension office. If the soil needs acidifying vinegar is not a good choice. Since it's organic the soil organisms quickly eat it up. Sulphur in some form is your best bet. Alkaline soil is usually also light in usable calcium so gypsum (which contains sulphur) should do the job.
Second that opinion.

Latest posts