Visiting a Seed Company

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pix would be great as you walk around...
Oddly, I never thought to take more than a few photos until the last two years. Prior to that, I just took written field notes, for accessions with stand-out characteristics (to be requested when seed became available). Photos would be especially useful to document some of their lesser-known heirlooms. SSE staff would probably allow me to open a dry pod to photograph some of their dry beans, limas, and cowpeas, if I explained what I was doing. Wouldn't want them to think I was seed snatching.

The preservation trials are the most interesting. There might be 20 or more varieties of a particular vegetable, all growing side-by-side in the same plot... you can learn a lot by comparing them. Having observed the full-grown plants, you know exactly what to expect in your own garden. Sometimes it takes SSE several years to list seeds from their preservation collection in the Exchange... for something that I really want to grow, it can test my patience.:barnie

This is one I hope to try:
20180831_172119.jpg
20180831_172141.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why that one?
Because all of the plants were loaded like that, the thick stem seems to indicate thick flesh, and most of the peppers were fully ripe on Labor Day. Which of course says absolutely nothing about the flavor or culinary qualities, which I'm not allowed to test in situ... but for new trials, it helps to start with a variety that is already known to be productive, and have a short DTM. At least I know that I'll get something if I grow it... and if I like it, I save the seed. Many other peppers I observed at the same time were only starting to ripen. I currently grow quite a few peppers that were first observed in previous evaluations.

About 15 years ago, I was convalescing from an injury, and spent a week in Decorah as an SSE volunteer. Among other non-strenuous tasks, I was canvassing the rows, looking for obvious crosses to report (there were quite a few back then) and looking for large-seeded / short-DTM beans that might make good shellies (which is another story). I was also helping the staff to extract seeds from buckets of tomatoes by hand. They don't do much of that now, most of the tomatoes are processed mechanically... but what a great way to taste-test a lot of different tomatoes. When I retire (not long from now) I'd love to volunteer there again, and have the opportunity to taste-test a lot of heirloom peppers & squash. I envy the staff's opportunity to do that every year, with a wide range of vegetables.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a thought :rolleyes:.

I'm wondering if @Crazy Gardner is near Richter Herbs in Ontario.

That outfit seems to have actual classes and guest speakers, at times.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette (@aftermidnight ) lives pretty close to Salt Spring Seeds, another great Canadian seed company. The owner is very active in heirloom preservation, and has a separate preservation effort outside of his catalog operation. I'd be curious to see if she has already been there (I'd lay odds that she has. ;)) I still grow a very productive dry bean, Brita's Foot Long, originally from Salt Spring Seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had an active and fairly long-term TEG member who lived near Richter's.

Re: the rare and unusual that they seem to bring back from distant corners, @Pulsegleaner is too distant ;).

@patandchickens visited, it seemed like she was there fairly often.

Steve

Latest posts