Volunteer Plant - Never seen them in our yard before. Growing fast

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
We had our back yard tilled when the guy did the vacant lot next door. After a few rains we had the following popping up in a few places. This one is the tallest.

The leaves are a little hairly as is the stem, but the hairs on the stem are a bit more corse.

I have a guess, but thought I'd see what you masters think first:

2_volunteer-plant.jpg

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sunflower.
Or something like that.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had something similar growing in the front yard by a tree.... we watched and watched... nothing happened... just a tall green weed with a HUGE stalk. :/

I really hope its something cool like a sunflower. :p

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Cool, that was my guess too!

I'll do some research to see if there are "wild" sunflowers vs. the good, eat the seeds, kind.

It is really odd because we've never had them around here before and never tossed anything like sunflower seeds around the yard. Only thing I can think is maybe birdseed getting scattered or something similar.

Should we give the a bit of watering to keep them growing? Otherwise I think in the current location they will dry up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They could be Jerusalem artichokes if you have those plants around somewhere. They grow from the root but the photo looks like those might be seed leaves on the stem.

It is a large family but certainly if you have bird seed, black oil sunflowers are a good possibility.

The birds, of just about any type, will appreciate it if you take care of the sunflower, Rob.

Steve

edited to add: Jerusalem artichokes are in the sunflower family.

m.holloway

Sprout
Reaction score
144_05272009_004.jpg

144_05272009_003.jpg

144_05272009_002.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm new to this group, I was sent by back yard cows. They said that ,maybe you can help me to tell what this plant is. :idunno My hubby said that it has a fruit that is yellow. Is it bad for cows and people. Or can it be eatten. It's been a new year for us in trying to eat off our land. We have been here since 89 but just now getting around to checking out what we have in our back yard????? Sounds crazy huh :tools Thanks for any advice. Mare

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

There are hundreds of plants in the family Deadly Nightshade.

They all have a similar appearance such as the leaf shape and especially the bloom. You have a member of the Nightshade family; the only question is whether it is a good member or a bad member.

Tomatoes and eggplant are to name a few of the good ones.

This picture appears to bear more of a resemblance to eggplant; even the tiny spurs on the leaves.

On this link you will see a huge selection of seeds for eggplant. The interesting one that might be similar to what you have is Thai Yellow Eggplant. You might want to compare it as it matures.

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Eggplant

Goodluck, I am not sure I would dare eat a Nightshade unless I knew where the seeds came from.

Ron

Latest posts