Wanted: Leek plants

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My large seed started leek patch has died this summer. I grow them to overwinter here in Georgia, where few people know of it. Having gotten family and friends thoroughly hooked on these, this is a gardening emergency. And it seems none of the online suppliers have any in stock this late. 'Crop failure', 'unavailable' and other disappointments.

Am I out of luck until a new batch of seedlings come along, which will likely be next year, or do any of you gardening wizards know where Icahn get hold of 25-50 or so plants?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can send out some seed if you'd like that. i think i have a few different varieties. one i know if American, and i think i have Blu De Solase. i know one is supposed to be very hardy and survive winters here in the north.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dixondale Farms (link) has plants the first of January.

Willhite Seed (link), also.

Both of these are Texas companies . . . Would that be soon enough? Does Georgia or Florida have seed/onion companies? Might Bonnie Plants have leeks in pots at your soopermarkets during the fall/winter?

Could you just go ahead and start them from seed now? What about using them as "baby leeks?"

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW 25/50 plants, I feel lucky when I have 10 or 12 leeks growing all at once.
Good luck with your search but...I didn't even know they were sold as plants...I've only ever seen seeds.

THANX RICH

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, but by January my replacement seedlings will be ready to set out for the spring and summer harvesting. I have plenty of seeds, just no plants timing to be mature this fall and winter. They do so well here in Georgia usually, who knew? And yes, 25 to 50 at a patch is barely enough. They hold very well in the garden over winter, but eventually go to seed the following summer. I don't have a cellar for onions, and leeks are pretty tasty.

Smart Red, don't blame you for keeping yours in Wisconsin. Will be checking these suppliers out for all sortsof stuff. Bonnie has cups of what are pretty much just-sprouted seedlings in the spring, nothing here now.

Trying to time the seed starting so I always have mature leeks in the garden at any time of year. How do you do it?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They keep for several months in the produce drawer of the fridge.

Mature leeks at anytime during the year? Oh! That would be awfully nice . . .

WHY don't I live somewhere like Georgia??!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
Smart Red, don't blame you for keeping yours in Wisconsin. . . . . so I always have mature leeks in the garden at any time of year. How do you do it?
I am growing about 12 leeks in all. They grew very slowly this summer and I am hoping to have them big enough to harvest before fall. That's why I'm keeping mine in Wisconsin.

Always have mature leeks? Ha! I don't! In my lifetime I have eaten 3 leeks. . . all last year's planting. The seeds I offered are from a leek I missed last fall. This spring it had a knobby scallion like bulb that I replanted as an 'experiment'. I never checked to see if it was edible and leek-like, I just left it for fresh seed.

Chickie'sMomaInNH, American Flag will overwinter here in zone 4-5 with a hefty cover of straw, leaves, etc. I've never tried any other variety of leek.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It is a goal. I didn't say it was realistic. I don't know enough but to try anyways. When I succeed, it's fabulous, when I fail, I do it on an epic scale.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
It is a goal. I didn't say it was realistic. I don't know enough but to try anyways. When I succeed, it's fabulous, when I fail, I do it on an epic scale.
:lol: me too

Latest posts