Wanted you guys to see my Indian Corn

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, I was talking to my neighbor and he didn't think his almost 30 year old Indian Corn (used for decoration in his old farm house ) would germinate, so I planted one ear of it to prove him wrong, and here is a few ears to show for proof. I was able to plant four really long rows of corn with only one ear.

DSC01478.jpg

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have always wondered if that kind of corn can be eaten or is it just for decoration only? I think it is so pretty.

Dodgegal79

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know most indian corn can be ground into flour, I dont think its sweet enough to eat off the cob. I was wondering if it can be used for animal feed, I sure it could be.

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It is fine to eat fresh....FRESH FRESH like within twenty or thirty minutes of picking.

My birds eat it real good. It is actually higher in protein than yellow or white corn.
Some varieties will pop, I dont know if this one will or not...yet.

I am hoping to grind most of it for cornmeal.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is a really pretty corn! Crossing my fingers for "early and often" 64 day corn to make it this year. Just started to tassel... but we've got a month TOPS left before a freeze that kills. *shakes fist at short season* So it will be close. Seeds can survive for an amazingly long time. I hear the larger the seed, the longer it can stay due to greater moisture reserves.