Warranties & How to Make Them Work for You

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
About a year and 9 months ago I bought a Poulan Weed Eater with a 2 year warranty. It quit running so I took it to my local service center. After about a week I received a phone call telling me that the cylinder was scored and inquiring, "Do you have the receipt?"

Now, in days past this would have been panic time. First, I'd have to find the receipt (highly unlikely) and than it would probably be so faded out as to be illegible. Fortunately, modern technology made it possible to respond that I did, in fact have it and would be right down with it. About a week later I was rewarded with one each, complete, brand new weed eater. :) When I picked it up the fellow said, "Good thing you had that receipt. They've gotten really sticky about having them."

"What is this miracle? you ask. Simple:

1. Purchase an all-in-one printer/scanner (I use the Canon MP250, got it on sale for about $35.00)
2. Scan the receipt and save it as a PDF file.
3. When you need the receipt print it out.

Easy-peazy.

To make it even easier I save them all in a folder named Warranties with sub-folders that name the item and date purchased plus the length of warranty. Example: "Poulan Weed Eater 3-5-10 +3 Years".

Thought this idea might be useful, especially at this time of year. ;)

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
"What is this miracle? you ask. Simple:

1. Purchase an all-in-one printer/scanner (I use the Canon MP250, got it on sale for about $35.00)
2. Scan the receipt and save it as a PDF file.
3. When you need the receipt print it out.
... and a very important Step 4 is a good, regular BACKUP -- that you test occasionally to see if you actually can restore from it.

I use the plain old alphabetical file method. Into a manila folder goes the receipt, (copied if it's on thermal paper,) the manual, and any interesting bits from the packaging. In the process of making a copy there's usually a file from the scanner somewhere on my computer... call it a hybrid method. :)

I recently got a brand new Kitchenaid stand mixer after mine died *just* inside a year from purchase.

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, that remark resembles me! I never save a receipt! I hate paper! Good for you Old guy!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Better then making copies on my copier and filing them away in a folder MARKED... "Do not let Brian touch this! IMPORTANT!"

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Latest posts